XI

~Friday, January 7th~

About sixteen hours later, I'm still convinced that I'm dead meat, though I'm starting to weigh whether it was worth it or not. Noah will probably make my life living hell for the rest of my high school career - public embarrassment, verbal harassment, who knows - and if this tutoring thing does happen I'm sure he'll make it torture for me. But on the other hand, maybe he'll realize that I'm not like other people who he can just insult and walk all over and get away with it. And on top of that, I'm not going to fall in love with him because he's a jerk. Yeah, he's hot, but he's a hot jerk. I've just got to keep the stuttering and social awkwardness to a minimum.

I stand at my locker, grabbing books and mumbling angry words under my breath while I wait for Olivia. A figure joins me, leaning against the locker next to me, and I assume it's her.

"Hey," I say.

"Hey Theresa," Andrew's voice responds. I try not to jump in surprise at his voice, no need to let him know that I didn't think it was him. "You seem upset," he notices.

"It's nothing. I'm just stressed from dance."

"How come?"

"Well, we're going to be performing Giselle this spring, and I really want the lead role." While this is making me stressed, I'm really not that worked up about it. Worrying isn't going to cast me as Giselle. However, holding a grudge against Noah probably will get me somewhere. I just really don't feel like talking about it with Andrew.

"Isn't Giselle your favorite ballet?"

"Yeah," I say, surprised that he remembers, closing up my locker after putting my math and chemistry text books in my bag.

"That's exciting then."

"Yeah, it is. Just stressful."

"How are classes? It's only the first week back and I've already got a crap ton of work. What about you?" I really just need to rant about this whole situation with Noah to someone before I burst. I could talk to Olivia, but she'd probably just congratulate me for scoring study dates with the hottest boy in our year - which is not how I'm viewing the situation. How bad could telling Andrew really be anyway, he's a guy, he won't think of it the same way Olivia would.

"Same, and on top of that Madame Martin assigned me to tutor Noah after school - who is being a total jerk, by the way," I say as casually as I can.

"Noah Thompson?" Andrew asks, anger flashing in his eyes.

"The one and only," I respond. Andrew sighs.

"Look, Theresa, I'm sorry about Monday. I've realized that I need to respect your feelings." There it is again. He thinks that apologizing and saying that he's learned will make me believe him, but what I've learned is that he doesn't change. He just doesn't.

"I know. I'm used to it," I say as calmly as I can.

"Theresa, I-"

"I have to go to class Andrew," I cut him off, turning down the hallway that leads towards calculus room and away from Andrew. I sigh as I open the door to room one-hundred-fourteen. I step into the classroom and look around, confused at the fact that it is completely empty. The lights are on and the class schedule is written on the board, but all of the chairs and desks are empty. I know I'm not early, there were only ten minutes left before the first bell would ring when I started talking to Andrew, and it's been a few minutes since then.

I am startled when I hear the door slam behind me, followed by the jingling of keys and the sound of a lock turning. I immediately spin around and find Noah pulling a set of keys out of the door handle, then leaning against the door and smirking at me.