XXXVII

~Saturday April 16th~

"Are you busy on Monday?" Reads Noah's text. Finally, spring break has started. I have no school for a week and minimal rehearsals, meaning for once I actually am not busy.

"I'm free all day, what are you thinking?" I text back after a few short minutes. I am currently reclined on the couch, soaking in the fact that it's Saturday afternoon after the last day of dance classes and I don't have any homework to get started on.

"The weather should be really nice and Cameron and I were thinking of going to the beach. Would you and Olivia want to come?" Noah responds immediately. I open the message and start typing.

"Sounds like fun! Do you want me to text Olivia?"

"Don't worry about it, Cameron's talking to her right now."

"Of course."

";)" Noah responds, making me laugh. Noah and I continue to talk for a few minutes about random things before he says that Melody wants him to play with her and of course I let him go.

~~~~~

~Monday April 18th~

I wake up to my alarm at eight so that I have enough time to get ready before Noah picks me up at nine. I immediately start my routine, excitement for the fun day ahead overriding sleepiness. I decide to pull my hair into a french braid to keep it out of my face and prevent too much sand getting in it - though I know I'll still be washing salt and sand out of my scalp in the shower tonight. It takes me a few minutes to decide which bathing suit to wear. This is my first time wearing one this season so I'm not sure which ones still fit me. I finally decide on a plain black bikini, the top being two triangles and the bottoms having small cutouts at the hips. I am surprised by how good my tattoo looks with them, and can't help but feel excited to show it off today.

After throwing a tie-dyed t-shirt and jean shorts over top, I head downstairs to eat some breakfast and pack up a beach bag. Just as I'm sitting down to eat, I get a text from Noah.

"Cameron and Olivia just bailed on us, and Cameron won't say why... do you still want to go?" I am surprised that they backed out at such short notice, and make a mental note to ask Olivia about this later. Anyway, I'm already dressed and ready, so I might as well still go with Noah.

"I'm down if you are. Are you still picking me up at nine?" I respond.

"Works for me. See you in a bit." Noah sends. I finish getting ready, packing a bag with a towel, sunscreen, sunglasses, a book, and some earbuds. Right at nine o'clock I hear Noah's Jeep pull into my driveway so I grab my bag and head out the door, locking it behind me.

Stepping into the fresh air I feel a weight being lifted off of my shoulders. It looks, feels, and smells like springtime - finally. The little snow we had melted weeks ago, but the air is finally getting warm enough that I can smell dirt and grass and flowers. The breeze is warm instead of chilly, and I find myself wishing I had my sunglasses on instead of in my bag.

As I approach his car Noah gets out of the driver's seat and opens up the door behind it. He meets me halfway to the car.

"Hey," he says when we're face to face.

"Hey," I respond, smiling. As I do, I feel his fingers lightly touch my shoulder as he takes my bag from me, and understand why he opened the door to the backseat.

"Come on," he says with a smirk as he turns back towards his car. As he puts my bag in the backseat and closes the door I open the passenger side door and climb in. While he gets in his own seat I take it upon myself to fiddle with the radio until I find a good general pop station, and keep the volume low so it just serves as good background noise.