XLI

~Wednesday April 27th~

I walk through the front doors of the school like any other boring morning, sleep deprived and already anticipating the moment when I get to go back home. My gray morning gets a bit brighter when I look up to see who is walking in step with me and I'm met by two blue eyes with an adorable smile behind them. I smile right back and continue walking, neither of us even needing to say anything to each other.

Seconds later I feel his fingers intertwine with my own, and I know that my face immediately becomes a tomato. Of course I love holding hands with Noah because of how sweet it is that he always wants to, but now that we're walking down a busy hallway filled with our peers - who have very specific stereotypes about both me and him - I'm feeling a bit exposed. I glance around at the other teenagers. Of course not too many notice, but those who do whisper to their friends and I can only imagine what they're saying. Given Noah's reputation, I'm sure they all think we've slept together. It's not true, but I'm not sure I could convince anyone of that.

But then I have a realization. The fact that Noah and I are good friends before anything else actually puts me above any of the other girls who he has been with, even Jessica. In the end, Noah and I can trust and depend on each other. That's something I should be proud of.

So instead of pulling away, I tighten my grip on his hand slightly. I'm not going to let go of him, no matter how many new rumors are spread. He's worth it.

For once in my life history class goes by quickly. At the start, I can't stop stealing glances at Noah, and it doesn't take long for me to catch him glancing back at me. About twenty minutes into class we give in and start practically staring at each other, Noah making funny faces and myself doing my best not to laugh out loud and disrupt the class.

This comes to an end when the boy sitting next to Noah taps his shoulder, bringing his attention back to the class - specifically, back to Mr O'Connor.

"Noah? Do you have an answer?"

"Um... could you repeat the question?" Poor Noah responds. I feel embarrassed for him, especially because I'm the reason why he didn't hear Mr O'Connor call on him, and because I have no idea what we're talking about either. Mr O'Connor repeats his question and Noah does his best to come up with a response. I'm almost scared that Noah will be mad at me, but as soon as Mr O'Connor moves on he looks at me over his shoulder, smiling like a complete goof. I have to laugh. If that had been me I would be completely mortified, but Noah is able to laugh at his own situation. Even still, we both direct our attention back to class, not wanting to get on our teacher's bad side by having that happen again.

~~~~~

Finally the end of the day arrives. I watch Olivia and Cameron leave our French classroom together ahead of me, and am almost a little sad that Olivia left me behind. However, before loneliness has the chance to creep in, a heavy arm is draped over my shoulders, simultaneously weighing me down and pulling me out of the classroom with him. I laugh a little as Noah glances down at me with a goofy grin, obviously aware of how heavy his arm is around me.

"What are you up to tonight, TD?" He asks as we walk down the hall.

"Take a wild guess," I say humorously.

"Hmmm... oh, oh! I know!" Noah starts, and I laugh at him. "You're going to find the cure to some obscure disease, cause you're so smart!" I laugh again, shaking my head. "No, I've got it," he says excitedly, "you're doing charity work, cause you're so kind!" I cock my head to the side, confused about where he's going with this but still laughing along anyway. "Oh no, I'm stupid. It's obvious!" I allow him to stop us from continuing on our path down the hallway - not that I have much of a choice, since his arm is still around my shoulders - and he stops us so I'm leaning my back against the wall of the hallway, and he's in front of me. He removes his arm from my shoulders as he continues talking, and I cross my arms across my chest as I look at him suspiciously. "You're going to go win a beauty pageant, because you're so smart, kind, talented, and gorgeous," as he finishes his guess he rests his forehead against mine sweetly, his eyes scanning my face as I am sure it flares up in a blush.