Chapter 13

🆁🆄🅽🅰🆆🅰🆈

🆁🆄🅽🅰🆆🅰🆈

𝙓𝙄𝙄𝙄. 𝙌𝙪𝙚𝙡 𝙨𝙖𝙡𝙖𝙪𝙙 𝙙𝙚 𝙩𝙧𝙖î𝙩𝙧𝙚

.

.

.

"Hello, how may I help you?", a lady asked as she opened her front door. Navia and Lumine had asked quite a few people who could be related to the cases, and now it was Marcel's turn.

"I'm here to see Marcel.", Navia stated with and warm smile. "Could you please let him know? You can just say Navia is looking for him."

The woman nodded and went back inside to look for the man. After a while rustling could be heard from inside, and it was closing in further and further. Then the door opened, revealing a hurried Marcel.
"Navia, hello! Sorry to keep you waiting. I'm not as young as I used to be, so my legs are giving out a bit."

Her eyes drifted to where he was pointing, and it was to his feet.
She just smiled at him and carefully accepted his apology.
"It's alright, Uncle Marcel. There's no need to stress."

Then they just smiled at each other, until Navia broke the silence.
"I just wanted to talk to you briefly about what happened in the opera house. I'm sure you saw everything too, right?"

Marcel's posture tensed itself and he nodded with his head.
"Yes, I've never seen anything so strange."

Paimon's expression changed to a confused one and carefully asked:
"You were there too? I only thought for you to be there as the trial went on."

Marcel looked at the little fairy and nodded his head again.
"That's right, I went there with Navia to see the magic show. Who knew it would turn into a whole murder mystery..."

Navia just hummed in response and carefully asked another question.
"In the trial...you weren't there. You were supposed to be with Ruby. Why weren't you?"

That made Marcel look up in shock.
"I.. ", he started with an look of pure terror.
"She declined my help and walked away. I wanted to stay, but she always said no."

Navia's smiled warmly after she caught onto what her uncle said. Lumine and Paimon were exchanging looks and info.
The blonde Spina chuckled while holding Marcel's hands, "It's alright. She just needed some space."

Lumine quirked a brow and analyzed the man's behavior. It was a calm one, but his eyes said something else.

Strange... , Lumine thought to herself.

"I was heartbroken of hearing what had happened. Ruby.. If I followed her maybe.."
Before he could speak further Navia shut him up by telling him of him not being at fault.

"So.. I believe the other side has began to act.", Navia released her uncle's hands and changed into serious mode.

Marcel noticed the shift and questiongly looked at her.
"What do you mean?"

Navia thought back to the incident with the Gardemeks and the Fonta.
"We were attacked on Erinnyes by some unnumbered Gardemeks, and there was also an attempt to get me to drink Water from the Primordial Sea."

Then she looked to her partner's and gratefully smiled at them.
Her eyebrows shot up while explaining the heroic deeds they did, especially Lumine.

Then Marcel did a small speech of protecting her.
"Alas, it seems things are heating up again. The peace that Callas sought so dearly will soon become a thing of the past.
But rest assured, Navia, Poisson will always remain a safe haven for you. If you're scared, you can always return there.
If anyone dares to lay their hands on you there, the Confrerie of Cabriere will use its funds to the last Mora to bring them to justice."

It was heartwarming for the girl. She was sure her close friends and family were always there for her, but such speech was new.

"Thank you, Uncle Marcel. But I don't intend to go into hiding. I'm going to strike while the iron's hot.", Navia thanked him with an welcoming smile on her face.
"Do you have any new thoughts on my father's case?"

A tired expression plastered itself on the man's face and he mumbled slowly:
"Hmm, about that... Sorry, my age's catching up with me, so it'll take me a while to recall my memory."

Then he put his finger to his mouth like falling into endless thoughts. After a bit of minutes had passed, his fingers flicked.
"I remember now. The Confrerie was responsible for that banquet, so I was out and about the whole time making sure things were running smoothly. I didn't even have the time to drink with the guests.
Then I heard the sound of a gunshot, and the rest was history."

Navia also began to think, but just shrugged off Marcel's 'old mind'.
With a smile and a thank you they continued to the next person, but all they did was go a bit further to discuss the info.

.

.

.

"We've talked to all three suspects, purely based on their conversations with me..."

After the 'interrogation' with Uncle Marcel, they decided to go over the information somewhere private.
No one seemed the slightest suspicious.

"Let's go over every single fact now.", Navia put forward while thinking of said facts.

Firstly they talked about Jacque.
The victim of the banquet where Callas was most likely framed for the man's murder. It also turned out that Jacque was part of the Sinthe business, which Callas tried to get him out of.
"Hmm, if I had to guess, he probably received an order from the Sinthe boss to kill my father. Had he refused, he and his family's lives would have been forfeit."

Next they discussed everything about Florent.
He is a very close family friend of Navia and her father, and a adviser of the Spina.
It would be a scandal for him to turn his back to his near brother.
"It couldn't be him. His finances are too low for him to send a whole Meka army after us."

Then at last, Marcel.
"It seems... Marcel is the most suspicious.", Navia stated with an hurt expression. Marcel was someone like a second father to her, and seeing him with such light didn't make it any better.

"Maybe.. Maybe we forgot something! It can't be him.",Paimon pleaded. "Melus didn't know about the people turning into water thing when he narrowed it down to these three, did he?"

Navia shook her head and smiled at the girls.
"I trust Melus, sometimes more than myself. His judgement is fair and trustworthy."

She herself was thinking of it being impossible, but the facts all spoke against it being not him. He knew a LOT about the Spina.

"Him being upset about Ruby was what gave it away for me.", Lumine confessed with a dark tone of voice. "His acting skills were impressive, but after a lot of experience in this field, his eyes was what fully threw me off."

Navia thought about it, and Lumine was right. He had this evil spark to him and it was terrifying to say the least.
"I can't believe he would do something like this to her... But that means that she isn't from Fontaine or it seems not fully."

Fontainians would have been dissolved and not found, but Ruby had some sort of allergic reaction to something. Maybe..

Primordial Seawater?
______________________________________
Merry Christmas! I hope you have a wonderful day.

And also thank you for 1k reads! I can't believe I'd make it so far :)