Blue Christmas

**Angst, mentions of racism and homophobia to follow (I didn't write the actual words, just mentions of what happened)**

Keith leaned back in his comfy computer chair, gazing out of his large wall of windows from his office. The sun was setting. Thanksgiving had just ended, and Christmas was already in full swing. To Keith, the holidays were his favorite time of year as that was when he made the most money. He was an electronic designer and he also oversaw the making of his designs. He designed everything from handheld devices to cars. Multi millionaires and billionaires would pay him to design cars that only they would have around this time, or they'd pay him to design cars for their spouses and kids. Big corporations would commission him to design new devices like phones and tablets. If the money wasn't what he deemed to be enough, he would just give them a half assed design and they'd still love it. Others would pay him huge amounts and he would spend hours perfecting every detail. His boss, who happened to be his brother, Shiro, knew how he did things and let him work his way while most other employees chose holiday vacation.

He stretched and got to his feet, grabbing his suit jacket, followed by his winter coat and gloves. He buttoned his winter coat up to his neck before grabbing his briefcase and heading out into the cold. He turned the collar of his coat up against the wind, shivering slightly as he walked down the parking lot.

His phone buzzed as he got in his car and he pulled it out. Adam had asked him to pick up some things from his and Shiro's go-to store, VLR, Voltron: Legendary Retail. Keith huffed, a puff escaping like a small cloud from his face from the frosty cold. He carefully drove along, avoiding slushy piles of snow and ice.

Keith strode into the store and grabbed a cart, pushing it in front of him. He checked everything off the list sent to him by Adam as he put it in the cart. It took him almost an hour to find everything and by the end, he was beyond pissed. He was tired and ready to go home and curl up with his dog, Kosmo. He strode to the front, expecting a quick checkout through the self checkout center, but found they had been shut down due to too much use, and only one register was open. The cashier was happily scanning items as fast and methodical as he could, which was pretty fast. Keith grumbled angrily and joined the line. Others coming up behind him saw how long the line was and just dropped their items on the floor or abandoned their carts, not even bothering to put the things back. Keith watched as more and more people left the store, almost deciding to leave himself and making Adam get his own things.

A loud voice snapped him out of his thoughts as a woman started screaming at the cashier. Keith was 19th in line, but the woman's voice carried throughout the whole store as if she were standing right beside him. Other customers started agreeing with her and as it gradually became their turn, they showed the cheerful cashier no mercy.

Keith was 9th in line when he started getting a good look at the employee. He had caramel colored skin and dark, chocolate colored, short, slightly curly hair. His eyes were a brilliant shade of blue that made Keith want to make a default color of a new line of phones or a car- something. It was too beautiful a color to not show off to the world. The young man was tall, taller than any of the customers ahead of Keith, but not Keith himself, with a slender build. The part about the employee that stuck out to Keith most, apart from his good looks and his eyes, was his smile. It looked so genuine as the angry customers shouted and screamed in his face that Keith briefly wondered if he was deaf. The cashier greeted everyone with the store greeting as they reached the register, apologizing to each of them and thanking them for their patience, which none of them had. Keith didn't know how he did it.

Keith was 5th in line when a customer slammed a jar of tomato sauce on the counter. The jar shattered and splattered the employee with its staining red contents. Keith noticed the young man flinch, then he realized that the beautiful smile had dropped bit by bit, customer by customer, and his blue eyes had dimmed so much that they were almost gray while Keith had stood in thought.