Lance's Lion Castle: Part 11

The door opened and two young boys who looked identical pushed a flat cart in with a hunched old man wheezing in its center over to them.

"Is that-?! What happened to you?" Keith directed the last question at the wizened old man.

"This is the Wizard of the Waste in his true form. I restored him to the age he actually is. All his powers are gone now.  Once, he, too, was a magnificent sorcerer with so much promise. But then he fell prey to a demon of greed, who slowly consumed his body and soul. Our kingdom can no longer afford to turn a blind eye against these disreputable witches and wizards. If Lance reports to me and vows to use his magic to save the kingdom, I will show him how to break from his demon. If not, I will strip him of his powers and he will be powerless just like him."

Keith couldn't hold his anger in check any longer.

"That's enough!" he yelled, his voice echoing around the room as he leapt to his feet.

Matt jumped, and so did Honerva's helpers as one of them squeaked. Honerva's eyes widened at Keith's daring, but he didn't care.

"That's why he's afraid to come here! He knows what you're going to do to him if he shows up! He knows it's a trap! He's childish, yes, annoying at times, maybe, but he's so selfless. He means well and he tries his best in everything he does, even if it inconveniences him, he deserves to keep his powers- not just for others, but for himself!"

Keith didn't notice he was shrinking into his old self. Honerva watched him closely and Matthew was wide-eyed at his outburst.

"He's so kind and generous, and he wouldn't hurt a fly unless someone he cared about was in danger. He's not cruel or grotesque at all like the rumors say. Lance is kind and sweet, hell, he's practically a dream!"

"I think I get it now," Honerva purred, her eyes flashing, "You're in love with Lance."

Keith shot up into his Galra form once more, his violet eyes wide as he let out a growl, the tip of his tail twitching. Was he?

"Lance? Did you say Lance?  Is Lance coming here? Where is he? Huh? His heart belongs to me, I must have it," the old man on the flat cart tried to climb up Keith's leg, latching into his tunic.

Keith gently pushed him back down, glaring at Honerva. Before either could say anything, the door opened and the king walked in from outside.

"Honerva."

"Your majesty."

"Who are your guests? And what was that commotion I heard just now?"

"Your majesty, this… creature… is Amante Lanza's head servant. It was just explaining a few things to me. The reason why Amante Lanza isn't coming is because he believes that the war is not the best course of action."

Keith's ears drooped as her words stung. He noticed the king frown at her and then he turned and smiled kindly at him.

"I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from being insulting, Honerva. What's your name, young man?" the king turned to Keith and strode forward a few steps, looking up at him.

"R-Red…" Keith responded, taking a few small steps back and looking down at the king's boots.

Another door opened and Keith became very confused when he looked up. Matthew slunk around Keith's legs and growled his own confusion as another king entered the room. King Adam looked exhausted and broken. He really missed Shiro. Keith was glad he wasn't looking like himself at the moment. Adam would have surely recognized him. Then, Keith noticed that the 'king' that had come in first was staring at him, standing directly in front of him. It wasn't a gaze that creeped him out, but it was familiar. Then, the man's eyes twinkled at him.

Lance!

Then-

Of course he'd be here disguised as the king- but he stood up for me…

Quiet laughter cut Keith's thoughts short and he glanced at the other king.

"That's the best you've got, Honerva? It's pretty good, and the best one of me yet," Adam left, still chuckling.

Keith stared after him, his heart breaking for his brother-in-law. He had to find anything he could on Shiro.

"How nice of you to show up, Lance," Honerva purred, a dangerous silk in her voice.

"You are looking well, Madame Honerva."

Keith's heart jumped a little as Lance's voice sounded right beside him. He looked down at Lance, whose eyes were fixed on the sorceress in front of him. He was still in the king's uniform of gray and orange. Arms closed tightly around one of Keith's legs and he looked down at the old man on his other side. He was clinging to Keith as if his life depended on it, which, now that Keith thought about it, it probably did.

"That was a pretty weak disguise, I thought I taught you better. And I didn't realize you'd stoop to taking on Galra servants in your household."

"I was not trying to outsmart you. I kept my oath, I reported when summoned. And Red is not just my head servant. He's actually a very nice and kind-hearted person. We will be going now, as it seems you have lost your manners," Lance stated firmly as he put a hand on Keith's back, his blue eyes sparking dangerously.

"I'm afraid not," Honerva snapped harshly.

Keith jumped a little as a thump sounded from her staff and Lance's arm wrapped tightly around his waist, holding onto him firmly. Waves rushed at them, hiding them away from the surface before beautiful alien music filled his ears as the world around them changed again. He could feel himself standing on the floor, but it was no longer there.

"Whatever you do, don't look down," Lance muttered quietly enough only Keith could hear.

"Let's see what your head servant really thinks of your true form, Lance."

Stars fell around them and Keith felt worried for Lance, whose breathing was growing more erratic. Tiny figures of light appeared, dancing around them in a circle. Keith watched as dark feathers suddenly stated growing on Lance's face and neck, his hands turning into claws. His legs lengthened and he became taller than Keith as his clawed feet broke out of his shoes and wings sprouted from his back. The young sorcerer was covered in feathers now. Lance snarled at the spot where Honerva had vanished. Keith growled as he suddenly saw her reappear with a spear in hand, her arm arched back and aiming the weapon directly at Lance!