Lance's Lion Castle

A Howl's Moving Castle AU
(Based off of the movie)

**A/N: This is a long one, so I'm splitting it into parts. *I do NOT own Voltron or Howl's Moving Castle* Enjoy!**

The train that rumbled by in the early morning fog could be heard out of the town and up towards the mountains, but the shepherds leading their flocks were oblivious to it. Their eyes were focused on the gigantic castle shaped like a dusty blue lion slowly making its way up to the foothills of the skyscraping peaks.

News traveled fast to the town and young men and women of all ages ran to the nearest windows to see the castle, a few almost shouting the wizard's name: Lance.

Keith sat at his solitary workstation, his medium length black hair trailing in a ponytail at the back of his neck as he worked on a red hat. His bangs continuously fell in his face, but he didn't mind. He carefully stitched some fake blue flowers against the brim while the rest of his coworkers were ogling the magician's castle out the windows. He glanced up for a moment, finding the castle several miles off and drifting into the fog to avoid a patrol.

"Lance is so dreamy!"

"Have you ever met him?"

"Well, no-"

"Of course not. If you did, you wouldn't have a heart. He would steal it…"

Keith ignored the whispers. He was used to them and had no interest in hearing anymore about it, or the magic user whose name made girls practically swoon. He spent all his time working, making hats. His mother had adored this shop, but she had passed away when he was just a kid.

Several hours later, Keith realized he was alone in the shop. He finished his last hat for the day and tucked it away. He removed his work apron and hung it on the peg next to Shiro's. His fingers gently brushed his adopted brother's name plate. It had been a little over a year since he had gone missing. That's why the world was at war. King Adam, Shiro's husband, was sure that the neighboring kingdom had taken Shiro to spite him. The neighboring kingdom denied all accusations, thus the war. His other hand brushed the purple amethyst charm on his necklace that Shiro had given him on his last visit so long ago.

Keith grabbed his own simple gray hat and placed it on his obsidian hair. He dusted his dark red tunic and black pants off before going outside. It was too bright and noisy, but he had a mission and made his way downtown. There were soldiers in gray uniforms with orange pants everywhere. Some were in clusters and others were walking among groups of young, star-eyed women. Keith avoided the soldiers as much as he could, taking a back alley, looking for the address from a slip of parchment that Axca's friend had given him. He was on his way to see his adopted sister. She was worried about him, always being cooped up at his workstation, always working and never socializing. She had made him promise to visit her at work even if it was just once.

He was looking down at the address written in Axca's hand when he accidentally bumped into someone.

"Oh, my apologies," he mumbled quickly, avoiding eye contact as he backed away.

Two soldiers in gray uniforms turned and peered down at Keith, trying to get a look at his face. Keith felt panic rising in his veins.

"Hmm? Seems a little mouse has lost his way."

"Um… no, I'm not lost. I'm just taking a shortcut. My sister is expecting me so I'd better go."