Lance's Lion Castle: Part 17

Keith held the door closed as the henchmen tried to find a weak spot on it. Then, he turned the knob to the green on the dial and the outside world was replaced. He carefully opened the door and they were back at the castle. It was raining as Keith ran to the cliffside where the castle had been set down by Hunk on their moving day.

He could see the town ablaze as more bombs were dropped on it. He saw a battleship gliding slowly over it, surrounded by flocks of small creatures.

"There's where we were at the shop… It looks like Lance is in trouble," he said to himself.

As he watched, the ship exploded. Keith gasped and felt his heart clench, his hands flying to the charm on his necklace for comfort that wasn't coming. Lance, in his own beastly form, was on top of the ship, tearing it to pieces as it blew up. Swarms of the small creatures attacked him repeatedly as the ship went down.

"Lance! Look out!" Keith shouted as though Lance could hear him.

After a few seconds, clouds obscured Keith's view, but he saw the explosions from the ship as it crashed.

"Keith! What's going on?" Pidge shouted from the door, followed by, "Turnip!" as the scarecrow hopped over to her.

Keith ran back to the castle, determination to help Lance burning in his heart.

"Pidge, I need your help," Keith said quickly as he went inside.

Pidge followed him.

"Are you insane? I can't move the portals without Lance's help," Hunk exclaimed as he pulled a log over to his embers.

"You have to try. Lance will keep protecting the hat shop if we don't," Keith said quickly as he flung a blanket over Lotor, "I preferred him as a coward," he growled the last part to himself as he secured the blanket over Lotor like a shawl, "at least I knew he was safe."

He helped Lotor stand.

"Ok, we have to go now," Keith told the old man.

"Are we going for a stroll?" Lotor asked.

"We can't do that. It'll make us too vulnerable," Hunk warned.

"We already are!" Keith argued, walking Lotor away, "and if we don't move quickly, Lance won't be able to hold them off much longer!"

"Keith! They're about to bomb the hat shop!" Pidge shrieked from the doorway.

"Hurry! Help him get outside," Keith instructed Pidge, passing Lotor off to her.

Pidge did as she was told, the 4 mice hiding in her pockets. Keith grabbed the ash shovel and held it out toward Hunk.

"You're coming with us. Get on."

"I can't! Only Lance can get me out of this hearth, Keith."

"There's no time to lose. Please, Hunk, I'm trying to help Lance."

With that, he scooped a shrieking Hunk up onto the shovel.

"Helphelphelp! Crazy man with the shovel!"

The others ran outside and Hunk looked at Keith.

"If you take me out that door, the castle could collapse!" Hunk exclaimed, burning nervously.

"Good!"

"We're ready," Pidge said quickly.

"Make sure I go out last, Keith. I don't know what will happen, but I'm sure it won't be good," Hunk worried again.

Keith turned on the doorstep and brought Hunk out last. The inside disappeared as the castle collapsed in on itself, quite literally having been held together by magic.