Of Dates and Wine

"All you have to do is make it look like an accident. If you get the feeling they're just in it for the money, then bring us the wine. I'll pay you extra if it's really expensive."

Lance nodded. Keith was a regular at the 5 star restaurant where Lance was employed. B. Marmora was a palace of very fancy and flavorful cuisine of all sorts. It was fairly expensive too, and Keith used that to his advantage on first dates. He and his favorite server, Lance, had met on Keith's very first date there. Lance had slipped him a small note with an explanation that Keith's date was texting his girlfriend under the table about how he was going to get Keith's money. Keith paid a bit more attention and noticed his date kept one hand under the table, glancing down far too often. Lance had come up behind the date with the very expensive wine he'd ordered and "accidentally" spilled it on the guy's lap and his phone. He had thrown it up on the table in anger, as wine had ruined his button-up shirt as well. He was just about to show his temper on Lance, but quelled when Keith saw the messages on his phone. Then, he left, leaving Keith at the table alone and so thankful that Lance had his back, even though they'd never met before that night.

That was a little over a year ago, and Keith's taste in guys hadn't improved, or that's what he wanted Lance to think. All in all, Keith was afraid to ask Lance on a date. He didn't know if it was within the first month or that week, but he'd fallen head over heels for the handsome, blue-eyed waiter. None of his dates ever made it past the first, and he was lucky if he made through the first date. Lance never approved of anyone, with good reason, but Keith didn't mind, as he approved of Lance.

Keith snapped out of his thoughts as his date for the night showed up. He smiled as A.J. took the seat across from him, dressed in a very expensive suit from Alfor's. They talked for a few minutes until Lance showed up.

"Good evening, gents. My name is Lance and I'll be your waiter this evening. What may I get you to drink?"

"I'll have a water and some Altea 1899, please," Keith said with a small smile to Lance.

Lance smiled back, his blue eyes glowing as he scribbled on his notepad.

"A water, and D. Bazaal 16."

Keith watched Lance and A.J.'s interaction. Lance stood slightly behind A.J. and the look on his face was distaste. Keith had never heard any of his dates order that wine before.

"I shall return shortly, and then I'll take your meal orders."

Lance winked at Keith behind A.J.'s back and Keith smiled a little. A.J. smiled back, thinking Keith was smiling at him. Keith perused the menu, while A.J. kept up the one-sided flow of conversation. Lance returned with their waters and wine choices. He filled their wine glasses to the perfect invisible line and took their orders. When he came back, he had their meals and carefully placed each one before the correct person. A.J. kept talking the entire time- about himself. Keith zoned out, occasionally speaking when required, but watching Lance working behind A.J.

Lance came back after they had tried their food.

"How is everything? Would you like some more wine, sir?" Lance asked Keith, who shook his head.

"No, thank you."

That was his signal. Did he think that A.J. was good enough for Keith? Or not… no. He wasn't. He wouldn't let Keith get much of a word in, and that wasn't a good thing in a relationship, plus with how much the guy spoke highly about himself…

"I want some more," A.J. said waspishly, gesturing to his empty glass.

Lance obliged, but "accidentally" caught the lip of the bottle on the rim of the glass and the whole thing tipped over into A.J.'s lap, splattering his white suit. Lance gasped and put his acting skills to good use as he apologized over and over again, trying to help the other man.