Prologue

(This is what it takes-S.M)

The hammock rocks back and forth, my head on his shoulder as we both stare out across the hill watching as the sun goes down.
"I don't get it.." I whisper my eyes not leaving the horizon.
"What don't you get?" His voice is soft and calm. I sigh and look up at him.
"Why?" I whisper tears welling in my eyes.
"Parents can be dicks. But we Love them, they said it was for our own good." tears roll down my face as he says those words.
"You don't care do you?" His eyes grow wide and he sits up grasp my ace gently.
"Of course I care Bailey. I'm doing everything I can. I love you so much. how could you think that?" His voice is just above a whisper. I just stare at him tears rushing down my face. He sighs and pulls me into a hug, placing a kiss on my head.

"It's not fair." I cry into his chest clasping his white shirt tightly.
"Nothing's fair for us anymore." I choke out a sob and allow him to just hold me. Him just holding me is something that I always long for, its something that always makes me relax.
"Promise me something?" I pull away and look up at him. He gently smiles at me and wipes away my tears.
"Just promise me, we're 16 now. Promise me that no matter what happens you'll still be in love with me in 3 years." I mumble, He frowns slightly confused but bends down and places a kiss on my lips.
"I promise." I smile and lock pinky fingers with him.
"I love you Bailey Harper. Through thick and through thin." I smile,
"I love you Shawn Mendes. Through thick and through thin."