|1|

Avi Merit was a smart girl— way too smart for her own good, it was honestly scary if you thought about it for long enough.

She was a small girl, looking as fragile as ever, but what laid beneath her Preety skin was what you had to look out for. She was far from preety, and not by looks. She was a disaster beneath, and not just a messy room disaster, but one that couldnt be swepted.

One thing that Avi had outrightly refused to do in the capital, was watch the reapings, she didnt see the point, watching young kids have their names effortlessly be picked out of a glass bowl, like they're lives were just a playing card, like they were a chess peice that could be easily knocked over with a flick of a finger— It was like they're humanity was being gambled upon, and Avi felt it entirely.

Sejanus for what seemed like the first time in his life, wanted to watch the reapings— at first he had begged Avi to come in with him, for support, but the girl refused. Sejanus knew not to push it any further, a simple 'no' was all it took. Avi had told him she was wait by the door for him, her back rested on one of the nearby pillers, her legs outstrected infront of her.

There was a card in her fingertips, being flipped around, it was a reminder to her, that she was only ever going to be a playing card for the capital. To do what they wanted with her, whenever they wanted. She was stuck here, the capital afraid that she would rebel, maybe, she shouldn't have threatened it that much, she did tell them she would.

Avi let out a sigh, waiting for what seemed like hours untill Sejanus and some other capital students waltzed through the doors.

Sejanus looked scared, loosening the tie on his neck, ever so slightly, "oh, your not going to like the sound of this."

"What is it, Sejanus?" Avi rolled her eyes, shoving the card into her back pocket.

"You've been chosen as a mentor, for the games." Sejanus let it out quick and easy, there wasnt a moment where Avi had to stop and think about it, all she could feel was her stomache drop down to her feet, and she felt the dying need to dispose of her breakfast, but with all the eyes around, she swallowed quickly. She wouldnt break down infront of them.

"What do I have to do?" Avi straightened up.

"Make an imagine of them." Coriolanus stepped forward, like the whole idea of this was okay with him. He had always made Avi feel uneasy, there was something up with him, and she knew it.

"What does that mean?" Avi's eyebrows furrowed, glancing between the two boy's faces, for any hint of what they were trying to say, but they gave no sigh.

"They want you to show of your tribute, Avi." Sejanus licked his lips, just the thought of telling this to her, was making him shy, "they want people to watch the games."

"They want them to perform?" Avi asked suddenly, "like some fucking puppets?"

"Its not like that." Coriolanus interjected.

"Oh, its exactly like that." She crossed her arms, taking a step forward "you sickos, just want some more entertainment, you think those kids lives are a game, Coriolanus?"

"Well it is called the hunger games." He pointed out.

Avi shook her head, laughing slightly, the action almost scaring the two boys, as they took a step further away from her, "unbelievable." She muttered to herself, biting her lip as if she was holding back what she really wanted to say to him. "You've got something catching up to you, Coriolanus. Dont get burned." She warned him, grabbing sejanus's arm and pulling him away.

"Im sorry, Avi." Sejanus frowned, "this shouldnt be happening."

"Its not your fualt, you werent the one who decided all this."

"Still, I am sorry." He continued, "I got the tribute from 2, Marcus. I remember going to school with him when I was younger— when I was back in the districts."

Avi glanced toward him, but Sejanus wasnt looking at her, only staring ahead.

"Dont worry, You didnt get anyone from four." Sejanus abruptly changed the topic, like the thought of the boy from 2, saddened him too much. Avi wouldnt be suprised if he were to bawl himself up and start crying. "The boy from seven— treech? I think that was his name."

Avi nodded, but she couldent help but think that this was just another reminder, that she could never go back to four.

AUTHOR ANNOUNCEMT:

FIRST CHAPTERRRR!!! Yesss, the story is going to be something.... But be prepared, becuase its a little bit of a roller coster.

Dont forget to vote and comment!!!