|23|

Avi remembered one day clearly, that had shaped her few of the world, when she had almost died, at thirteen years old, when she was diving in district four, it was the same routine she had did everyday, but something that particular day was diffrent. Rain poured down harshly, onto the district, And the waves crashed against the shores, so destrutivly, that it began to flood the streets. The currents were harsh, and Some of the district elders had tried to get work for the day to cancel, but it was no use, the capital would never let them have a day off.

Avi stood at the dock, already drenched to the bone, without even having step foot in the water, She had seen her diving partner enter the water atleast several times, before he was pushed back against the currents, and forced out of the water, his name was Gil, only a year older than Avi at the time. It had been his eight attempt before he finnally had given up, collapsing onto the dock, heaving up water from his throat. Exhuasten taken over him, as he laid on his hands and knees. Minso rushed towards him worriedly, untying the rope that grasped his waist, and tossing it to the side to help him up.

"You alright gil?" Minso asked, even though he himself was struggling, with the conditions they faced.

"Yeah— im good." Gil collected himself, standing up with the help of Minso. "Just a little rough out there. . . Be carefull." He said the last part to Avi, as he walked past her, plopping himself on the other side of the dock.

Minso turned towards her with anticipation, like he didnt want to put the rope around her, but he didnt have a choice, and he moves forward, wrapping it around her tightly, "Dont push yourself out there— Go slow, and if it gets to ruff then you pull back, you remeber the drill?" Avi couldnt help but let herself glance towards her brother, Kirke, who stood waist deep in the water, with a couple of his friends, including Leer. Spearing around with the harsh winds pushing them. Avi felt Minso's hands on her shoulders, and snapped her attention back to him. He was worried, that was obviouse, "Got it?"

Avi nodded, and Minso patted her gently on her back, to urge her forward, and she swallowed harshly. She stepped a few feet towards the dock, and dove forward, her body crashing into the water, alerting the nearbye district four workers she had entered the water.

She could barely see anything in the water, and the waves were pushing so hard against her, it made it hard to move. She had to be one of the best swimmers in District four, but in these conditions it made it hard to even remember how to swim, reluctlently she pushed forward, her feet pushing to the bottom of the oceon, for a little help. Her eyes scanning the bottom of the seafloor for anything that could be any use, the quicker she made her earnings the quicker she could get out. Usually she took her sweet time, enjoying the depths of the water, but today wasnt like that, she could feel the darkness looming over her, like an eary feeling beggining to collapse over her. A large current crashed against her, flinging her off her path slightly, and she fought against it to keep moving, but her attempts were fatal as the rope she had tied around her began to tangle in her legs, and into one of the old dock pillers, it had to been years old, probally before the wars had happend, since the top was pointy, Avi hopelessly collided against it, cutting her thigh on it. She pushed against the current again, but she felt something holding her down, a small bit of blood seeping out into the water, she could feel her breath becoming short, she needed to come up for air, so she dropped down, trying to untangle herself from the mess she had cuased, but she couldnt keep her hands on the rope long enough to make any difference, the water was pushing against her, sending her back again, but with her leg cuaght in the rope, it left it with no choice but to snap in the wrong dirrection, she must've dislocated something, at best, if not broken a few bones. She knew it was hopeless as this point, she was going to drown, on this cold empty morning, with no one around her, comical how a district four kid, who had lived in water their entire life was going to drown, she was going to end up just like Anuket Gilova. Who had drowned only a few months ago, he was a good friend to Avi, since they had been labeled as diving partners since they were seven years old. She yearned to see him again, and now she finnally had the chance, but terror still consumed her, and she flailed around efforlessly, ignoring everything Minso had ever tuaghten her— dont panick, stay calm, find a way out. Those things seemed ignorant at a moment, she didnt want to die, and she begged any god out there to get her out, and she tried to tell herself that she wasnt going to die, but it was hard to convince herself with the lack of air flooding her brain, her lungs burned, desperate for a single gasp of oxygen, but as she continued swallowing, it only made the sensation worse.