The Child He's Never Met

Joseph and I called it quits over 2 years ago. We both felt like we should be just friends. But I didn't want to be just friends. So we decided to lose contact with each other. It was the hardest decision we ever had to make. But there is something that he doesn't know. A month after we called it quits, I found out that I was pregnant. Since we had no contact, I wasn't able to tell him that he was gonna be a father. Looking at my 1 and half year old son Thomas, all I see is Joseph. He resembles him so much. Brown eyes, curly hair, and he has the same smile as Joseph as well. Basically, I cloned his twin.

   Thomas and I were out at our favorite diner, enjoying a hot lunch. When out of nowhere, I heard a familiar voice. After wiping off Thomas's face with a napkin, I turned to face the voice, and sure enough, it was Joseph with his friend Wesley. Hopefully, he doesn't look my way. Because it would be a weird encounter. He doesn't know about Thomas, so if he sees me with a child next to me, he surely is gonna be confused. He ordered his food and was about to go and sit down at a table that was three rows down when he looked my way. Great! Just what I needed. I put Thomas's jacket back on, left a tip for the waitress, took his hand, and walked out of the diner.

   I was headed towards my car, with Thomas holding my hand. I felt like someone was following us. I turned around, and sure enough, Joseph was right behind us. I picked up Thomas and held him in my arms, and walked at a fast pace towards my car. By the time I got to my car, Joseph had stopped me. He looks at me, then at Thomas and then back at me again. "Hello Joseph! Can I help you with something?" I asked him before placing Thomas in the car. Joseph looked at me and said, "You can help me out by telling me why you have a child that I don't know about. He looks just like me." I looked at Thomas and placed a kiss on his head. Joseph just stands there and stares at me. Burning a hole through my face with his eyes. "Are you gonna tell me or what?" I didn't know what to say. I stood there frozen in my spot. After snapping out of it, I finally decided to tell him. "Joseph, meet Thomas, your son. I wanted to tell you about him, but you and I agreed to lose contact with each other. So I wasn't able to tell you that I was pregnant."

  Joseph stares at me and says, "You have my number. Yn, you could've called me to tell me that you were pregnant." I shook my head and said,"I deleted your number from off my phone, Joseph. I couldn't bear seeing your name on my phone, so deleting your number was my only option. I needed to cope, Joseph. When you broke up with me, I was a damn mess. I wasn't the same. I was stressing out almost every single day, and I cried myself to sleep every night. But when I found out that I was pregnant with Thomas, I had to stop stressing. Because being stressed out can affect the baby. So I got over you and started thinking about the child that I was carrying. He is my life now, Joseph. He may be a handful, but I will do anything in this world to protect him." Thomas started to get cranky, he places his head on my shoulder. I ran my hand through his curls and said, "What's the matter, sweetheart?" Thomas looked at me with his brown eyes and said,"I go to seep, mommy." I kissed his chubby cheek and said,"Ok baby, we are going home right now."

  I looked back at Joseph and said "Well I am sorry that I have to cut this short, but little guy here is sleepy. So have a good rest of your day." I placed Thomas in his car seat and gave him his stuffed teddy bear and closed the door. I noticed that Joseph was still standing there. I paid him no mind and got into my car and headed home. Don't get me wrong, I did miss Joseph. But the encounter was a bit disturbed. He did look at Thomas with love in his eyes. I feel guilty. So I got out of my car and walked back to Joseph and said, "Do you want to have a playdate with your son?" Joseph stares at me because he couldn't believe what I asked him. He smiles and says, "Yes, absolutely! When and where?" I looked at him and said,"How about this Saturday at noon? At my house!" I gave him a slight smile. He looked at me and said, "May I?" I nodded my head, and he wraps his arms around me and gives me a hug that I have missed for over 2 years. Listening to the familiar sound of his heartbeat was like music to my ears.