CHAPTER TWELVE: THE WITCH IN THE WOODS

"Why do I feel like we're lost?" Tuffnut complained.

"Because you have no concept of direction?" his sister replied with sass.

The group trudged through the thick grass in the clearing between pines as they kept a straight path.

"You do know where we are going, right?" Hiccup asked his love as they took the lead.

"The house was around here somewhere. I'm sure of it. Let's just get to this next clearing," she replied.

[GEM]

Uriah walked beside Snotlout, eyeing the man as he seemed deep in thought. "I'm sorry about that trip, lad..." he told him, remembering when Snotlout questioned that terrified man about his father to see if he'd seen him. They found no clues as to where they could be. "At least we know who is behind it, now," he added. Though that did little for comfort. If Tempus Mora was the reason those scouts went missing then they'd be dead for sure.

"I'm gonna kill him..." Snotlout finally said in a sure tone.

Uriah didn't like him resorting to vengeance but he understood the amount of pain he was in far too well. He thought about what to say to that. As they walked he finally added, "Whatever you do... just remember who the real enemy is."

Breaking through the treeline once more, Astrid and Hiccup were the first to see the hut and she smiled with relief. "Keep the dragons here," she told everyone and they parted from their mounts to continue towards the house.

[MELODY]

It was a small wooden cabin that was overgrown by all kind of plants. It almost looked like someone left it long ago. Moira looked around while they walked up to it getting a whole different feeling from this place. It just felt odd, light but not light strangely. "Are ye sure she still lives here?" She asked Astrid as she looked over at her. But before Astrid could reply a voice could be heard from behind them. "Well yes I only left for a few hours..." it was Melody who watched them amused but calm. So they really had come..

[GEM]

Arne jumped at her voice and Faelan chuckled at his reaction.

"Why is everything in this God forsaken woods trying to startle me?!" he complained.

Astrid smiled when she saw her. "Melody," she greeted and walked up to embrace her.

Most of the group was feeling neutral about this character. But Ruarrc was skeptical, understanding the rumors around witches and the other three Berkians knew these as well but didn't really care too much.

Uriah, however, felt his spirit shutter within. Warning bells were going off inside him about Melody and the darkness that he felt swoop over him being this near to her. And there was an unshakable feeling of presence around her. He knew they weren't alone. Unseen eyes were watching their every move. He wasn't scared, though. Just very cautious and more than skeptical.

[MELODY]

The young witch let out a small laugh at Arne's reaction before turning to the blond. "Astrid! It's been a long time." Melody said smiling as she embraced her. "..so you brought friends with you." She said as she looked at the others. Her gaze stopped at Uriah as their eyes met. She just gave him a small smile. Moira watched the two of them before looking up at Uriah noticing how cautious he was. She gave his arm a small nudge as she wondered what he was thinking.

[GEM]

He tried not to acknowledge Moira's inquiry as it would be rude to express his thoughts in front of Melody. So he kept it to himself. When Melody had smiled at him he was polite to her and nodded a greeting. After all, he wasn't sure yet whether or not she had nefarious intent since he didn't know her. He also humored the possibility that she could not be aware of the darkness he felt around her and was trying to do her best in life like the rest of them.