Chapter Eighteen

Dedication to altoclef52. Thanks for all your support, and reading, commenting, and voting.

No school = more updates. Yay!

GUYS THIS THING IS ALMOST AT 10K READS JFC LET'S DO IT!

My characters are all such drama queens.

If I were some second grader narrating my life right now, I would say that my heart was racing as fast as a cheetah, or that it sounded like a basketball being dribbled up a court.

But neither of those statements could even begin to describe what I was feeling.

Honestly, I didn't know why I felt this way. I mean, it was just three words, right? I love you. Except I couldn't say that out loud. If I did, it would scare him away. He'd laugh in my face and walk away. But that wasn't who Mikey was. He'd never do such a thing. No, I would just make him uncomfortable and he'd still just end up walking away. I could say like instead of love. But what if Gerard was wrong? What if he didn't like me? What if I was just going humiliate myself? What if I was just going to get myself hurt?

A million scenarios flooded my mind. The most likely one was that he'd just continue to ignore me. I mean, I knew that he felt the same, thanks to Gerard. So why couldn't I just go and tell him? Nothing was holding me back, yet everything was.

So when I was walking toward the auditorium for jazz band, keeping an eye out for Mikey, those stupid second grade similes came back to mind. My pulse vibrated within my ears. It was the only thing that I could hear as it rang through my ears, as it echoed throughout the vacant halls. With each thump, it grew faster and louder. I could feel the heat rising to my cheeks as my forehead began to sweat. It still baffled me that just saying these words could cause this rush of adrenaline. My heart was beating for Mikey. It was just Mikey. He was my best friend. I could trust him with anything, so why couldn't I just tell him this?

The beating of my heart had become so loud and overwhelming that it began to haunt me. Thump. Thump. Just do it. Thump.Thump. What are you waiting for? Thump. Thump. You're nothing but a coward.

"Kris, are you okay?" Forrest's voice snapped me back to my surroundings. "You look like you're going to be sick. Maybe you should go home-"

"I'm fine." I snapped. I looked over his shoulders and saw Mikey walk into the hallway.

"You look like you've seen a ghost-"

"Just, Just go to band. I'll talk to you later."

He began to protest. "Are you sure-"

"Goodbye, Forrest." He eventually gave in and walked past me to the auditorium. As he did so, Mikey saw me and his eyes widened. He immediately turned to his left and began going down the hallway leading to the side stage entrance.

"Mikey!" I called after him. My feet began turning, and it's the fastest I've ever run before. I knew that if I didn't get to talk to him now, when we were alone, then I would never get to talk to him, and he would continue ignoring me until his feelings went away. "Mikey, goddamit Mikey!" I pleaded as I continued to chase after him. I finally grabbed his arm and whipped him around to face me.

"What do you want?" He had screamed. I instinctively took a step back. This was the first time that I'd ever heard him scream before.

I lowered my voice, hoping he'd do the same. "I need to talk to you."

"There's nothing to talk about." He began to turn back around, but I grabbed his arm once again.

"What do you mean, there's nothing to talk about?" My voice grew louder and higher. "You haven't spoken to me since the jazz band trip!"