Prologue

I hate everything.

Because that is the first thing you've ever heard me say or think, here's how you're going to picture me. You'll picture me as some lonely, somewhat depressed teenager that wears all black. Someone whose hair covers their face, along with their nerdy glasses. They're into underground music and has absolutely no friends.

Well, you're completely right.

I hate everything. I hate Belleville. I hate New Jersey. I hate my school. I hate my family. I hate myself. I hate everything. I hate having to move to a new crappy town no one has ever heard of in the middle of a state that was too cold. I hate having to start this all over again.

"Moikay!" My brother screamed and launched himself onto me, while I was sleeping. That's the one thing I didn't hate. Sleep. And music.

"Fuck off, Gerard," I mumbled as I rolled over to press my face into my pillow. I didn't want to get up.

"Mikey, you're going to school, whether you like it or not." He lectured. My too-gay-to-function brother acted like my mother sometimes. I hated him, not because he's gay, I have no problem with that, but because he's my brother, and my mother, and my father. My father died in a car accident on the way to meet my mother at the hospital as she was giving birth to me. Gerard was in the car, but he was barely a year old and doesn't remember a second of it. When I first heard the news, only a few years ago, I only blamed myself. If I hadn't been born, my Dad wouldn't be in his car, and he would still be alive. He would be the CEO of his own business, and my family would be wealthy. My mom wouldn't have to work the three jobs to support two kids as a single mother. She wouldn't have to take some crappy job in this crappy town. And Gerard would be an only child, and I'm sure he'd absolutely love that.

I've gotten over these thoughts, yet sometimes the guilt will still linger with me. Every now and then I'll have an off day, and I'll be blaming myself for everything, starting with the death of my father.

"Mikey, if you don't get up, I'm going to rip your Anthrax shirt-"

"Okay, okay!" I yelled, sitting up. "I'm up"

"Great. You have five minutes to get ready for school. Love ya!" He yelled as he slammed the door on the way out of our room.

----------------------------

I walked up to the high school and immediately wanted to run back to the car. The trees were bare and it was so early that it was still dark, even though school had just started. The school was illuminated by the orange glow of the streetlights in the parking lot. This place was giving me the creeps, it looked like it was built a hundred years ago, and it probably was.

"Come on Mikey." Gerard pulled my arm as we trudged through the snow to get to the school. I shivered, wishing my leather jacket had given me a bit more warmth. We finally got inside the school and I tensed up even more. Please take me home. Maybe if I grabbed Gerard's keys out of his pocket and ran, I could hop in the car and drive as far away from this town as possible.

"Good morning, how may I help you?" The secretary asked as we walked in the office.

Gerard walked up to her with a smile plastered across his face, while I sulked behind him. "I'm Gerard Way, and this is my brother, Mikey. We're new here."

She nodded and smiled again. Why do people smile so much? "Of course, just give me one second." She typed something onto her computer and turned in her office chair as the printer began to print. "Here are your schedules and a map of the school. It's a pretty small school and you have five minutes between classes, you should make it on time. Everyone's friendly here, I'm sure you can ask someone if you get lost." She licked her finger and separated our papers. Gross.

"How do I read this?" I mumbled, looking at the map and schedule.

The overly-joyful secretary heard my mumbling. "The schedule is the same every day, it doesn't rotate or change or anything. Just look at the room numbers to see where you go. Lunch is after 3rd period for both of you. When you look at the map, the office should be in the bottom left corner. Now, it's about halfway through 1st period. You better get going, you're already late on your first day!"

She didn't have to tell me again before I bolted out of the office. "Hey Mikey!" Gerard called after me. "Let me see your schedule! We probably don't have any classes together, but who knows."

I handed him my schedule, being thankful to waste a bit more time.

"Hey, we have music together! But it's not until 5th period." He said.

I leaned over and looked at his schedule. "Wait, why do you get a free period last period?" I asked. That wasn't fair. Gerard was pretty much the dumbest person I knew, he had to re-take 7th grade math, so we were taking the same course, even though we weren't in the same class. But if anyone needed an extra class, it was him.

"Because I'm a senior." He stuck his tongue out at me. "Later, bro!"

He shoved my schedule back at me, and left me in the lobby to find my way around the school alone.

Wonderful.

---------------

I looked down at my schedule, making sure I was in the right place. English, room 109. I looked back up at the wall next to the door, which had the same number next to it. I took a deep breath and walked into the class, despite the fact that I so desperately wanted to turn around. As much as I hated Belleville, that's the only place I wanted to be right now. It was the only place that was familiar. I hated change, and I hated this new town.

"Hello, you must be Michael Way." The teacher asked. He was a little on the older and wider side, and spoke with a thick southern accent. The lights of the classroom reflected off of his bald head.

"Just Mikey." I replied, nodding. A couple guys in the back snickered, and I just wanted to run away even more. I wonder what it would be like to just run away, and see if anyone noticed. Maybe Gerard would, but I doubt mom even would, as she worked all the time. I wonder if I could just run and run and never look back-

"Well, Mikey, you can take a seat anywhere you like." He said. "We're just about to begin reading Romeo and Juliet. Here's a copy." He handed me a book, and I went to sit in the front row. There were at least 20 desks in the class, but only about 14 were occupied. Talk about a small school.

When the teacher turned his head to write on the board, a ball of paper was thrown at my head. I reached down next to me to uncrumple it, and read the words written inside. Hey "Mikey", watch your back, faggot.

I wonder what it would be like to just run and run and never look back...

Super short prologue to begin the story. 

Feedback is greatly appreciated, as this is the very beginning of the story!