Chapter One

Dedication to Pretty-Ood for being my first reader!

By the way, the first paragraph of this is a quote from Charlie Parker, a jazz musician.

Also, Gerard looks like he did from Danger Days, but Mikey looks like the way he did for Three Cheers. Sorry if this confuses you.

*Kris's POV*

Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn. They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But man, there's no boundary line to art.

That's the beauty of music, the possibilities are endless. With even just three notes, you can create thousands of different songs, with different emotions and feelings. That's why jazz music had to be the best genre of music, even without words, it's just so raw and beautiful. You can let your feelings bleed out into the music, and it's just so full of emotion. There's just nothing that can compare to it. There's nothing that compares to the way that the trumpets dance and sing, and the way that the saxophones-

"Marcello, are you even paying attention?" The teacher yelled, breaking me away from my trance. I snapped my head away from the window and to the teacher.

"What?" I asked. I had been doing the thing where you put an earbud up your sleeve, and hold your ear to your head, allowing you to listen to music when it looked like you were just resting your head on your hand.

"I've been calling your name repeatedly. We have a new student, Gerard Way. Gerard, you can go sit next to Kris, and maybe you can keep her on task. Now, can anyone tell me what Newton's three laws were?" I rolled my eyes as the professor turned to look at the other side of the classroom, which only held 12 students.

"Small school, huh?" The new kid said from next to me. I didn't even look at him, I just pulled out a sheet of paper.

Don't talk in this class, Dr. Heliot will murder you. And yea, where'd you move from? I passed the note to the kid beside me. As he read my almost illegible handwriting, I took a good look at him. He had fire engine colored hair that reached his chin. He was extremely pale and had gorgeous hazel eyes. He passed the note back to me.

I moved from New Jersey. You seem cool. Why did you move here? There's like nothing to do in this town, and I've only been here for a weekend.

I skimmed over his handwriting, which was far more readable than mine.

Wow, I can't believe you can actually read my handwriting. I've lived here all my life, so has my dad, and my mom moved here from Italy, so she could play in some symphony in a neighboring town. You're a junior, right?

"Way! It's your first day here, stop checking out Kris! Now, what's the answer to number three?" The teacher asked, pointing at the board. He squinted.

"Uh, um, t-three?" He guessed.

Dr. Heliot glanced at the board. "Wow, great job Way." Gerard nodded his head, and the teacher continued talking, as he scribbled something down on the note.

No, I'm a senior, but my brother's a junior. And I wasn't checking you out, I swear. I promise I wasn't checking you out. I swear.

I had to hold back a giggle as I read his note. He was kind of awkward, it was a bit cute.

I believe you. And that was totally smooth. Wait, is your brother's name Mike or something? I think he was just in my English class.

He rolled his eyes when he read over my note, and then nodded.