twenty one

[ flashback ]

"I can't stop thinking about you. I think.. I.. like you and a lot. Maybe that's why I am avoiding you, Somun?"

The young lady was fast asleep, but little did she know, the young boy heard Hana's sudden confession.

He slowly opened his eyes, his head still resting on the table, he looked at her fondly. He reached out his hand to caress her soft and dark hair.

"I still like you, Do Hana." He confessed to her as well, almost whispering as if he was afraid she would hear him.

He still remembered it.

He still remembered the first time he saw her in front of that restaurant, his eyes landed on that beautiful girl — Do Hana.

Do you know those scenes in the movie where everything is in slow motion?

The young boy felt like that when he saw her for the first time.

The young girl who struggled to open up about her feelings, she was now an inch away from his face, the words "I like you" coming from her sounded sincere, but somehow it felt so unreal to him.

Did he hear it right?

What if the next day she wouldn't even remember and start to avoid him once again?

We are just family. They would say to the people whenever they were asked about their relationship.

Back then he was still a high school student, she would use it as an excuse every time, but what's her real reason now?

They had two years age apart, not a lot, but the young boy felt like Hana will always see him as a kid.

As time passed by, from the moment he became a counter, his life became hectic and his priority was to keep the counters safe no matter what.

Those people meant the world to him and the thought of confessing to her was longer forgotten.

He wanted to be a better person, a better counter,  someone who will keep them safe even if it meant sacrificing himself.

He was scared of losing them, especially her.

"You two are still here?? Hana?? Somun?? How much did you drink??" Ms. Chu asked.

"Just.. just a little" the young woman replied with a sleepy voice.

It was late night, past midnight accurately, as the door opened, revealing Ms. Chu and Mr. Jangmul's worried faces as they noticed the young counters were still at the dining table.

To avoid any misunderstanding, Somun quickly moved away from Hana before they could notice the two.

He stood up and grabbed a water bottle from the kitchen and drank it to sober himself up.

"How was your walk?" The young boy asked.

"Great, the sky is full of stars tonight!" Mr. Jangmul said excited.

Somun was feeling jealous as he looked at the elders smiling widely while they were talking about their time spent together.

If only he could have a moment like that with Hana.

"Hana.. Hana.." Ms. Chu went to the young woman and tried to wake her up.

"Ms. Chu, I will take care of her. You must be tired"

The young man said as he carried Hana in bridal style to her room.

When the young boy finally managed to bring her to her room, he laid her down on the bed.

"Somun" she — still not sobered up — called his name and took his hand.

"Can you stay for a little?" She asked as the young boy smiled softly as response and sat down at the edge of her bed until she fell asleep again.

-

[ present ]

"Oh—" she muttered, her memories of the night before came back.

She was so embarrassed as she just wanted to hide from him when their eyes met.

I must be crazy. She thought.

Ms. Chu was about to leave the kitchen when Hana mouthed her not to go to avoid the awkward moment she could feel in the room as soon as Somun arrived.

-

A/N: hello! i'm very sorry for not updating in such a long time, but here is it! a longer chapter than the previous ones! i hope you enjoy it!~