Chapter 2

The prince kneeled before his father in the great hall. He explained to him what had happened. That the exiled prince was leading the White Cloaks to attack villages and inns.

"These are very dangerous times, as I am getting old and you will become king. We may be at the brink of war and you, my son, must fight for this kingdom. No matter what," said the king.

"Yes father," Cassius obeyed as he drew his sword and plunged it into the ground.

The king took his sword and rested the flat part onto his shoulder. "Do you promise to serve and protect this kingdom with valour? Make strong the weak, and defeat your own enemies, Never break your oaths and use your power only to protect, your crown is yours only if you are fair, and forgive those who beg for your mercy." The king stated The Oath confidently and loudly for all in the room to hear.

"I promise to uphold my oaths, use power to protect, and show mercy to those who ask for it," the prince said, trying to be as confident as he could.

"Then may god hear and find you worthy! Of this crown I now hand down to you." The king cried out and placed the crown on his son's head.

Then the king groaned in pain and slumped down on his throne. Prince Cassius stood and walked over to his father's throne. The king was dead.

Cassius let out a cry of sorrow and the guards rushed over. They hung their heads in silence at the sight of their dead king. Now the Kingdom was at the mercy of its enemies. If only God could help them now.

~

The bells of the city rang solemnly as a coffin was carried through the streets. Men, women, and children hung their heads in sorrow. The king's bastard sons, Adam and Rickard reached their hands out and touched the coffin of their father. But one guard slapped their hands and glared at them.

Prince Cassius felt bad for his younger half-brothers. They were both the sons of a tavern wench that his father had met one day while on an expedition south. When he returned he got word of two sons being born and he was the father.

The coffin was taken to the top of a hill. Prince Cassius had one final moment alone with his father. Before the priest and the knights pushed the coffin into the water. And it was set on fire.

A viking burial, usually not used with kings of Ashya. But Cassius's father was, after all, was part viking.