Chapter 3

A loud horn sounded as Prince Cassuis, Lord Skully, and seven men on horseback with their hunting dogs charged down the hill. A herd of elk ran from the men. Arrows fired and hit one buck.

Lord Skully turned to Cassius and smiled, "Looks like it's your lucky day sire!"

"Yes, it will be!" The newly crowned king agreed.

The buck turned around and glared at the men charging towards him. He let out a scream and kicked a dog that was about to grab his leg. Prince Cassius drew his bow and shot at the buck's head. The men hooted and cheered as the stag fell down and was still.

"Well done sire," Lord Skully praised.

They tied the stag's legs and dragged it back to the palace. The dogs followed in tow. The injured one limped behind. Cassius noticed the limping dog and stopped.

"She's injured," he declared and dismounted, walking over to the dog.

"You have a kind heart my king," complimented the head hunter.

"Thank you, now we must go back and help this dog." Cassius mounted his horse, laying the bitch on the front of the saddle and riding on.

The bitch was taken to the palace to heal. The nurse informed them that the bitch was pregnant with pups.

Cassius declared that the dog would be relieved of duty and be his own dog. So the Head of the Hunt handed her over to the king.

Several days later a man came to the palace. It was Barley, returning home from his exile. As ordered by Crowned King Cassius.

"Barley my father gave you fifteen years of exile for a crime that I know you were unfairly framed for. But now that he has passed on, you will sit beside me as Consort," King Cassius declared.

"Thank you my king," Barley bowed and kissed Cassius's hand. "I will remain forever loyal to you."

"Sire, is this a good idea? I mean, how do we know if he is truthful? What if he is here to take your throne away?" Lord Skully said.

"Silence! Barley is a loyal knight, he will sit beside me as Consort and I will have no more objections!" the king retorted back.

"Yes my lord," Lord Skully backed away and stood in silence.

Barley was given a tower in the palace that looked over the vast forest hunting grounds where the men would hunt deer and boar.

He placed his bow and arrow on a table and hung his cloak on a chair. Then he kept watching out the window. He knew the White Cloaks were out there somewhere.

But they would never find him or get into Castle Danforth. Not with the guards and palace dogs running around. But the White Cloaks would find him one day. They were getting closer.

~

Lord Skully walked into the council room where the king sat at the end of the table. His crown sitting atop his head. The prince had the same golden hair and strong high jaw as his father. Cassius's dog sat beside him, she had a round belly full of pups. They would come any day now.

"My king, I have heard of a new land across the sea. The people there are tribal folk and they have many treasures. They may trade with us if we go over there and learn their ways. What do you think, sire?" Lord Skully asked.

"We can not steal from people weaker than us, I say no." King Cassius said.

"But sire, if we learn their ways, maybe we won't have to steal? Shouldn't we go and explore this new land?" Lord Skully persuaded the king.

The king was silent for a few moments. Stroking his dog's head. Lord Skully waited patiently. Then the king spoke.

"Alright, we will leave for this new land in two days. You will stay in charge, I will need a crew of thirty men and Barley. Bring war horses too." King Cassius stood up and walked to the door of the council hall and swung it open. "Stay," he told his dog as she tried to follow. She whined as he kept on walking and the doors closed.