Chapter 5

The White Cloaks camp was hidden in a vale between Summer's End and CrownStone. Lord Ridian's son Jaceson was among the men in the camp. He was a boy of fifteen, already a grown man. But in his father's eyes, he was a disgrace.

Lord Ridian loved his younger son, Veridian. Because Veridian was more like him and was more of a knight than Jaceson.

Jaceson was no good at fighting or shooting an arrow from a bow. So one day, Lord Ridian sent his older son to the White Cloaks. Hoping they would fix him.

"Get up Jaceson, it's time for training!" shouted Alric, the captain.

"Yes sir!" Jaceson quickly got up and grabbed his sword and armour.

When he was dressed and ready. He went to the training ground where everyone else was.

"Late again weakling?" Wren Ashwood and Luca Bane unsheathed their swords at him.

"Leave him be!" ordered Lord Aron's son, Azrael.

"Fight me, I dare you, I am the strongest here." Wren said, turning on Azrael.

"What is with you and fighting?!" Azrael shouted and drew his sword to block a hit from Wren.

The two lords' sons clashed their swords. Jaceson was horrified at Wren's ferocity. He did not like them fighting over him. So Jaceson drew his sword and got in between them. Hitting Wren's sword away.

"Get out of this!" Azrael said.

"No, stop I say! Noble houses should not fight each other." Jaceson said.

"Our fathers are all enemies. Except for Luca's and my father." Wren said, glancing at Luca.

"But they all sent us here didn't they? Did they not send us to learn to fight?" Azrael objected. "Why should we be enemies when we could make a greater kingdom? We are all future lords of Ashya."

The boys thought about it for a moment. Their swords lowered. Azrael had a point, even though Wren didn't like him or Jaceson. He raised his sword and plunged it into the ground. An Ashwood style salute.

"To the Houses of Ashya!" Luca raised his sword and everyone else joined him.

"To the houses of Ashya and long live the king!"