Chapter 8

As the months passed, the kingdom that was once rich and powerful, became poor and in chaos. With the king gone, Lord Skully and Prince Kaine had all the power over the lords and the people. The lord of House Bane's death had been a warning to everyone. Now nobody would dare challenge Kaine.

Barley and Greyson were now outlaws and they were struggling to help the people. The White Cloaks were everywhere, arresting people if they did not pay taxes. The late king's bastard sons were in jail too, waiting to be hanged.

Barley had a plan to rescue them. He would go to the tourney and win. Then he would free Rickard and Adam.

The stands were filled with common folk and noble folk. The king, Lord Skully, and the queen mother sat on their thrones. The king was, of course, on the highest throne, with his mother to the left and Lord Skully to the right. In the crowd was Sir Baylor the Swiftclawed, son of Lord Kendor Ashwood, and the younger son Wren Ashwood. Lord Ridian Pyke sat with his son, Veridian, heir to CrownStone. The Pykes held their banner, with the eagle sigil against a blue sky. The Ashwoods had a bear rearing up in a green meadow. Four banners stood for the four great houses. Bear, Dragon, Wolf and Lion. The tourney began with a trumpet of horns, two riders sat on their horses at each end. Ready to charge.

It was Baylor the Swiftclawed and another lesser house lord's son. The house was banner men to House Bane.

"House Bane's banner men," Kaine growled, "May they die a bloody death."

"Why must you hate them, son?" the queen mother asked.

"Because they tried to take my throne!" Kaine snapped at her.

The queen stayed silent but still she had concern on her face. The boy who was wearing leather and metal armour charged but was knocked off his horse by Baylor the Swiftclawed. The crowd roared for the young Ashwood as he turned his horse around and raised his sword.

"House Ashwood!" he shouted.

There was a roar from the crowd again and Baylor threw a rose to the people. Amira caught it and her cheeks flushed red. Baylor smiled at her and winked.

"Does he fancy you?" asked Amira's mother.

"Maybe," Amira said softly.

Baylor Ashwood moved up the ranks quickly. Defeating hegde knights and squires. Until one of the knights killed his horse. Baylor was angry and he drew his sword. The other man drew his sword also and swung it in an arch.

"Stop!" Lord Kendor shouted as he raised his hands.

"No, let them fight," the king said with a grin.

The hegde knight ducked as Baylor swung at him. He then took a chance and cut his arm. Baylor Ashwood grunted in pain and anger. He then swung and knocked the knight over. The crowd gasped but the knight stood up and surrendered. Backing out of the arena.

After the small scuffle there were five more jousts. Then it was over. The Leonards and Skullies joined their banner houses for a feast. While Barley and Greyson planned to break into the palace and free the prisoners.

They snuck under the bridge and ripped off the bars to the dungeons secret entrance. Barley went first, crossbow in hand. The tunnel widened as it opened into the dungeon. Barley immediately searched for Adam and Rickard. He found them filthy and starved in the fifth cell. They were immediately relieved to see Greyson and Barley.

"Thank the first king that you are safe." Greyson sighed in relief.

"Why do you wish to risk your lives for us? We are not heirs of the king. We are mere peasants!" said Rickard.

"Silence, that is rubbish, bastard or not no child deserves to die because of their birth." Barley said and swiftly unlocked the cell with an arrow.

The four of them hurried to the tunnel but an arrow flew over their heads and struck the wall. They turned around and saw four guards holding crossbows. Then Lord Skully came into view with a sword in hand. Dread washed over Barley.