Chapter 12

Cassius had heard word that Kaine had taken his throne. So he planned to return to his rightful place as king. Cassius had heard of how the Skullies, Banes, and Leonards had worked together to kill the evil king. King Gunnolf who was a tyrant in his time. It was the greatest battle in the history of Ashya. The Battle of Wolf and Lion.

Cassius knew a second great battle would come. He would have to fight the new tyrant, his own brother and the house he thought was loyal to his father and grandfather.

"Sire, are we ready to set a course for Ashya?" asked the captain.

"Yes," Cassius said to the captain.

A cabin boy stood atop the mast and called out to the crew. The fleet of ships began its course home.

~

Azrael and the other boys had escaped to freedom. Now they were going from town to town. Stealing money from the rich and giving to the poor. Wanted posters were put everywhere but nobody could ever catch them.

"This is getting too dangerous, we can't keep stealing and giving to the poor," said Luca. "My father would not be proud."

"I do miss my father and mother, and my siblings." Wren added with a pang of sadness.

Azrael sighed and sat down, his head in his hands. Then he looked up as he thought of something.

"Our fathers are powerful lords. What if we go to them and tell them what is happening? Then we attack Castle Danforth," Azrael said.

"Yeah, we should," Wren agreed. "I must go to my betrothed, she may be missing me."

"Then come with me to Snowdam, we shall tell my mother and uncle about our revolution and you shall be with your betrothed." Luca promised his future brother-in-law.

"Young love that is," one of the older White Cloaks said with a chuckle.

"I wish I had a future wife, my father says I can't be married till i'm three and seven and finished training to get married." Azrael said in exasperation.

"One day Azrael, one day," Wren Ashwood said.

"Well let us waste no time, come on Wren," Wren and Lucas mounted their horses.

"Goodbye," Azrael and the others waved as they rode off.

Then Jaceson Pyke mounted his horse and rode away too. Azrael was left with the rest of them. He did not wish to go home yet.

~

Lady Loraine could not believe it. Her son had returned home. She called to her daughter who did not believe it either.

"My lady," Wren Ashwood kneeled and kissed Amira's hand.

Amira felt butterflies inside. Wren was so handsome and strong. She did not feel this way when she had seen his brother Baylor Ashwood in the mellay.

"My lady, I have waited since we were young to marry you. And soon it will be." He rose and kissed her cheek.

"You are such a lady's man my lord Ashwood," Luca mocked playfully.

"Oh and how many ladies have you had Lord Bane?" Wren asked.

"One," Lucas said.

"Alright boys, that is enough. Lucas my son, one day I hope you find someone." Lady Loraine said.

"Well, well, well, my dear nephew," Sir Laurence Bane entered the room and hugged Lucas. "We shall have a feast in honour of your return. I heard what you did, taught those damn White Cloaks a lesson!"

"Yes uncle, we fight for the true king, not the false one," Lucas said.

"I shall send a messenger to invite House Ashwood for a feast. Lord Ashwood misses his son dearly."

And so the next night House Ashwood and House Bane sat together and feasted. Wren Ashwood sat next to his betrothed. Sir Laurence and Lord Kendor were laughing and talking loudly. Drinking their ale.

The main course on the table was meat stew, freshly baked bread, vegetables, duck pie and potatoes. Next was dessert, which was tarts and fruit cakes. Amira was full and could not eat anymore. Even when Wren offered her a piece of cake.

"I wish to retire to my chambers," Amira said.

"Alright, I shall escort you then." He said as he rose from the table.

The two betrothed walked out of the dinning hall and to the sleeping chambers.

"You know, I am going to fight Prince Kaine in a mellay. And then I will take his crown for myself." The young lord said.

"You can't, he'll kill you! And Cassius should be the one fighting for the crown," Amira protested.

"Nah, I bet I can fight him," Wren said.

"Nobody can make wise decisions after drinking." Amira warned him.

"I don't care! I'm an Ashwood, one day when my father dies I will be Lord Ashwood!" Wren snapped at her. "You keep out of it."

Amira was frightened by his anger, she felt like crying. Wren's face softened when he realised he had upset her.

"Don't worry my lady, If you think I shouldn't fight him then I won't." Wren Ashwood kissed her on the hand and went back to the feast.