Chapter 4

Barley and Greyson, the head of the hunt, were riding their horses through the forest. The king and his men were going on a crusade to the other country in a day.

"Where does the king leave to on the morrow?" asked Greyson.

"He leaves to the other land sir," said Barley. "First he will go to Snowdam in the South and get Lord Bane's men."

"It will be a long trip, I am afraid that someone is plotting against him. Someone who wants him gone," the head of the hunt gave him a worried glance.

Barley understood, "You don't think Lord Skully is planning something do you?"

"I wouldn't blame Lord Skully, he is loyal to the crown, has been for years," Greyson said. "A good banner man for the Leonards. His family served this house for years. But some in history have tried to grab the crown of the Leonards."

"You are right sir, it is true they were once Leonards' banner men. Now let us get on with our hunt."

The two men stopped by a gully. On the other side was a boar and her piglets. A mother boar with her piglets was dangerous. Greyson and Barley lifted their crossbows. But before they could shoot, a pack of dogs charged the boar. Men on horses ran after them. White Cloaks.

"Hult!" Greyson and Barley ran after them. But the White Cloaks did not stop.

One of the dogs got hold of the boar and snarled, shaking its head. Then a hunter shot the boar and it squealed, still alive though. The piglets were killed by the dogs but a few managed to flee into the bushes.

"This is the king's land!" Greyson lifted his crossbow again. "You can not trespass here!"

"We'll go wherever we like," Prince Kaine said as he rode into view.

"Kaine," Barley took out his sword.

The exiled prince took out his own sword and grinned, "Barley."

"Who sent you here?" Greyson demanded.

"Lord Ridian Pyke of CrownStone. He declares war on House Leonard," said Kaine.

"Don't try to fight us, we have more men than you and dogs." said one of the White Cloaks.

"He is right," Barley put his sword back into its scabbard. "Let's go."

Barley and Greyson rode back to the castle. The White Cloaks turned their horses around and continued their hunting.