Chapter 15

The two lion cubs grew fast, in a month they were running and playing with each other in the courtyard. Amira named the female Nyra and Lucas named the male Malik. Lady Loraine and several of the knights and maids of the castle did not trust the lions. The lion was not their sigil, not their house. So the cubs were some sort of omen of danger to them. Even though the Leonards were trusted allies and friends.

"Sir Laurence, will you be going to the tourney at Castle Danforth?" Lady Loraine asked her brother one day after she had gotten word from Summer's End.

"Yes, I will be fighting, Will the boys be going?" Sir Laurence asked.

"If you want to take them, then you may. But I want none of you to be hurt." Lorraine hugged her brother. Sir Laurence smiled and hugged her back. "I'll have horses prepared." He said and strode out of the chambers.

~

Sir Laurence, Lady Loraine and her sons rode out of the castle gates at dawn. Behind them were two men holding the banner of their house. And four other knights rode behind. They were off to Castle Danforth.

~

Everyone from all over the kingdom came to watch the tourney. Sir Laurence was a champion on horse back and an excellent sword fighter. He was put in second against Baylor the Swiftclaw. The Swiftclawed Bear of Ashwood charged at him, lance raised. The two greatest knights in the kingdom. The crowd went wild as Sir Laurence knocked the Swiftclaw off his saddle. Then Lord Arik Rayven. smacked one knight on the head and broke his skull. The lord of House Rayven stared at the dead hedge knight. Two men dragged the body away quickly as the tourney continued as it was.

"Lord Arik is a viking, some say, his house has been banner men to the Leonards for years." Sir Laurence whispered to Amira.

Next was King Kaine against a stranger with a full helm covering his face. The stranger charged and both he and King Kaine were knocked from their horses.

"Declare yourself!" demanded the king.

The crowd went silent and gasped when the stranger revealed who he was. It was King Cassius himself.

"Kill him! Seize him and bring him to me!" Lord Skully shouted.

"No, let them fight!" snapped Lord Kendor.

Kaine drew his sword and charged at his brother. Cassius ducked and rolled, drawing his sword.

"Prepare to die!" Kaine swung, making Cassius duck.

Then the true king swung and hit Kaine's sword. They pushed against each other. Then Kaine began viciously swinging and hit his older brother's arm. They were bleeding and bruised but they kept fighting. Swords clashing and striking. Kaine made a long cut on the chest of his brother. Making him stumble and groan in pain. They took off their helms and the crowd roared, cheering on Cassius and some cheered for Kaine. Then with one determined swing, Cassius cut his brother from the navel to the chaps and he fell to the ground, sword flying out of hand. The true king of Ashya had won.

~

Lord Skully and his followers were arrested and thrown in the dungeons. King Cassius was escorted to the throne room where the council waited for him. Cassius went down on one knee, his head bowed.

"In the name of the lords of the kingdom, the gods, and House Leonard, I Maester Tuck crown you king of Ashya and Lord of house Leonard. All hail the king!" The Maester placed the crown upon Cassius's head.

"All hail the king!" the council echoed.

"My king," Barley smiled at his friend. He, Greyson, and Adam had made it for the ceremony.

Cassius and Barley walked beside each other as they made their way to the balcony. The new king glanced nervously at his best friend and hand.

"Your people await sire," Barley said.

The doors opened and King Cassius walked out and looked over the balcony. His people, the nobles and townsfolk sank to one knee and bowed their heads. Cassius turned around as Barley and the friar did the same. The prince had left a boy and returned home a king.