Chapter 11

King Kaine was in a drunken rage that night. He had been betrayed by several of his men and the White Cloak's camp had fallen. Kaine yelled furiously at Lord Skully.

"I am the king! Nobody can betray me, kill them Simion! I want them hanged," he said.

"Yes of course sire, but we have another problem. I don't think we can hold power for longer. The kingdom is revolting against us. Barley and Greyson killed several guards and escaped with the late king's bastard." Lord Skully informed the king.

"Urgh, damn it! Damn them all!" King Kaine stormed away to his chambers.

"He's gone mad I fear," the queen mother said. "Especially now but he is only a boy of seventeen."

"Yes my lady but he is indeed a king. Maybe this is best." Lord Skully said.

"My lord, the kingdom is in ruin! If Cassius does not return for his throne then we will be doomed," the queen objected.

"I follow Kaine! Not his older brother. Now leave me." Lord Skully warned her.

"Fine, be blind to the truth. But when it comes to war, I will not let my younger son sit on this throne." The queen mother said and left.

Lord Skully went to his chambers, angry. He knocked several objects off a table and kicked over the chair.

Then he went to the balcony and looked out. He could see villages and roads ahead. It was a peaceful night. But he could not sleep. If only the queen had married him long ago. He had loved her, but his father forbade him from marrying her. She was five years younger than him, the late king's age. Now Lord Skully was old, he was the last dragon lord in his house and had no one to pass his bloodline to. No children or bastards or nephews and nieces. Lord Skully squeezed the railing of the balcony. Nobody would bear his children now. His house was dying out. Simion's father's words ran through his head.

"You are a disgrace to this family son. If you do not marry and give me heirs, you will be killed. You are the only hope for this family but you can't even find a wife to have heirs with!"

"Women aren't just there to make heirs father! Life isn't just about continuing the bloodline!" Simion had snapped back at him.

Tears ran down Simion's face at the memory of his father's disappointment. He was twenty then. His father was on his deathbed when he had said that. Lord Skully never forgot it. He whipped away the tears and looked down at the ground below. It was a long fall. A fall to his death. Simion Skully took a deep breath, the wind blowing his cloak. He closed his eyes, jumped, and fell.

Memories flashed in his mind. Time was moving fast as he fell fast. He remembered promising his father that he would carry on his bloodline. That he would continue the dragon lord legacy. He would take the throne for their house.

Lord Skully gasped and quickly created a forcefield of blue fire before hitting the ground.

Lord Skully breathed a sigh of relief. He had managed to save himself seconds before death. Not a word of this shall be said to anyone. He thought as he stood up and walked back into the castle.