𝐨𝐧𝐞

𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐃𝐈𝐄 stepped out from the cabin, this was a chance for her to greet the new comer before her sister could. Annabeth had told her about what she believed he could be capable of, even though she said that about most of the arrivals. Except, this time, Birdie-Mae believed her. She was there when he arrived. She had seen what happened. She saw how the boy killed the minotaur.

She had a tendency of passing the border for a few minutes before returning back to camp, always hoping no one had seen her. That night she had gone out, like usual, then saw Grover on the ground and a boy slicing a minotaur with a sword.

Birdie went through the camp and quickly found the boy in the infirmary. She had already assumed he would be there since she watched him pass out. He was on his feet, opposite of what she thought she would see. She expected to find him still unconscious, not walking around.

He was holding his pants in his hands as she walked in, attempting to put them on. She saw him and awkwardly turned around, giving him very little privacy. "Bird, why are you here?" Grover asked, looking at the girl who was facing a wall instead of her friend "uh- just- I- um-" Birdie mumbled "it's fine, it's fine, pants are on" the boy said, letting Birdie turn around to see them. "Hi" she smiled, giving a small wave to the boy "hey" he nodded at her, an awkward tone leaving both of their mouths.

"I'm Birdie, um, Birdie- just Birdie" she said, placing her hand out in front of her before lowering it quickly. She was an overthinker, she would rethink every move she made and she wanted to make a good first impression. "Percy. Just Percy" the boy replied, doing the same as her, assuming it was just her way of greeting people "I just wanted to make sure you were okay, I saw what happened" Birdie explained, she had already decided that she would be friends with this boy, it didn't matter if he didn't want to be, she had made her decision.

She thought he wouldn't want to be friends with her but in his head, there was a girl who showed interest in him and wanted to know he was protected, therefore he must be friends with her until death.

"I'm fine" Percy said, he wasn't showing much interest in her despite him wanting to show a lot more. He simply wanted her to think he was cool, and not a nerd who has only ever had one friend in his entire life who ended up being a half-goat that was meant to get him to know he was the child of a god. "That's good" Birdie smiled softly with a small nod as Percy passed her and left the room, she turned and watched him walk out, then looked back at Grover "what's he doing?" she asked "he's going to find his dad" Grover sighed, standing up and following Percy.

Birdie looked around the empty room and stood still for a few seconds before quickly walking after Percy and Grover. She didn't want to be left alone and she honestly thought that if Percy and Grover were to go off on their own together they would end up in near death. Or if Percy were to abandon Grover and go alone he would end up dead or missing. She always had thoughts about people, and she was always right.

She followed behind the two boys, she walked into the room far later than she should have because Dionysus had said Percy was his son.

"I shouldn't be here, should I?" Birdie whispered to Grover, he shook his head and signalled for her to leave by waving his hand in the direction of outside. She nodded and swiftly left, gladly exiting the awkward situation that was about to happen once it was revealed that Percy was, in fact, not the son of Dionysus.

Birdie-Mae returned to the cabin of Athena, where her younger sister was resting on her bed. "Hi" Birdie said, hitting one of Annabeth's legs and sitting at the bottom of the bed, Annabeth set her legs on Birdie, letting her sister replace the mattress with herself. "You talk to the new guy?" Annabeth asked, adjusting her position so that she can look at Birdie "kind of. I know his name and that's he's 'fine'" Birdie answered, tracing stars with her finger on Annabeth's leg "fine as in 'yeah, I'm fine' or fine as in 'damn, he's fine'?" Annabeth said, raising her body and resting back against her arms "the first one, not the weird one" Birdie responded, acting as if she was colouring in the stars she had just drawn.

Birdie and Annabeth spent some time together in the cabin, along with placing themselves outside to see where Chiron would put Percy. They both knew he would be put in Hermes' cabin but they still wanted to see if something else were to happen.

A new arrival with no known godly parent, it wasn't rare. But the child killing a minotaur the same night he discovered about his background? Very rare.