𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

𝐒𝐋𝐄𝐄𝐏 wasn't very easy for Birdie. It never was. And having to sleep in a tight space with three other people close to her made it worse.

She was on the floor with Percy, Annabeth was on one of the beds, and Grover the other. Grover was snoring and there were too many other sounds that distracted Birdie.

"I can't sleep" Birdie mumbled, turning over to her side. She was tired, she was always tired, but she couldn't manage to fall asleep. She knew Percy was awake, Annabeth probably was too. "Try" Annabeth said, answering Birdie's question about her state of consciousness "I've done that, Annie. That's why I said 'I can't sleep'" Birdie replied with a groan. "Try again" Annabeth said in a quieter voice, Birdie rolled her eyes.

Annabeth was never helpful when it came to things like this. Every time Birdie couldn't sleep, she would just tell her to try. And most times, when she could sleep, she'd have nightmares. That didn't help her sleeping, obviously. She grew scared to go to sleep, she didn't want to have another one.

After a few moments, there was silence. Until Percy spoke. Birdie took this as a sign for her to sleep, so that she wouldn't have to listen to whatever strange or sad conversation they were about to have.

Every night, it only took Birdie a few minutes to fall asleep. It still wasn't easy. It took her time to want to fall asleep and it took her time to not be frightened of having a nightmare. She wasn't trying but she wasn't going to admit that to Annabeth. So, once Percy started speaking, she closed her eyes and already started to drift off.

She walked through the deep haze, a dark fog that covered her view.

She was alone. She hated being alone. And she was alone.

The mist disappeared as she entered, it was hiding something. Hide and seek.

It was just hide and seek.

"Birdie" the boy coughed, collapsing in front of her.

She immediately dropped to the ground, her hands shaking as they went to him. She needed to help him. This was the boy she would protect through anything. He could not die if it meant she failed. He could not die.

She helped him to his knees, his hands grasped her arms. His shuddering breath echoed in her ears. She felt a pain ringing throughout her body. She looked at the boy, his eyes wide.

"Percy, it's okay. It's- it's okay" she assured, his face was pale and his eyes were dark.

He opened his mouth, as if to speak. Blood poured from his throat, falling into Birdie's lap. She let go once the red began to stain her clothes and skin.

She scrambled back, starting to crawl away as the boy followed after.

"Stop it!"

"Help me" the boy cried, blood trickling down from his eyes, replacing tears.

She paused.

She found herself moving closer, even though she wanted to stay still. She pulled him forward while he laid down, coughing as he did. She rested his head on her lap.

She didn't want to do any of this, she wanted to run away. She couldn't run away, not again.

"It's okay" she whispered, rocking back and forth.

He continued to cough, blood continued to fall out of his mouth. She stayed with him.

Eventually, the coughing stopped. The feeling of his body rising and falling with his breath stopped. The blood slowly dropped onto the ground like a leaking faucet.

"Percy?"

She looked down at him, the boy in the dirt.

"Percy," her fear returned, although it never left "Percy, come on" she shook the boy.

"Percy!" her voice grew louder, she could feel her body thrashing even though she was still.

She screamed, her body jolting as she rose. Percy and Annabeth both looked at her, wide eyes among the three that were awake. It was morning now. It was time for them to continue their quest.

She stared at the boy next to her, he stared back. His stare was from fear, her stare was from relief. He was okay, she was petrified.

"You're okay" she whispered, her breath heavy. "I'm- I'm okay" he nodded, not knowing what to do. She felt like she had just done something horrific when all that happened was a nightmare. She had no control over it. She was scared now. More scared than ever.

She now thought she should never leave Percy alone, in case that were to actually happen. The chances were astronomically low, but that still left a small chance.