𝐭𝐞𝐧

𝐓𝐇𝐄 two walked through the hall, following the sound of sizzling. They came to the kitchen. Food set on the table, ready for their finishing touches, and Medusa at the stove.

"She's not usually like that," Percy said, Birdie looked at him and crossed her arms, raising an eyebrow "I mean, a little bit, she is, but that was a lot" "she's going to betray you" Medusa said, Birdie's arms fell back to her side as she stared at the woman. She wasn't the type to get angry, that was obvious. But, when it came to someone she cared about everything was different.

"Sooner or later, people like her, they always do" "I don't think she's like that" Percy replied, shaking his head slightly "then you will be an easy mark for her when the time comes" "stop talking about my sister that way" Birdie said, she stepped forward. Percy stepped closer to her, feeling like if he didn't she would do something.

He put a hand on her shoulder and pulled her back slightly "what do you care?" Percy asked Medusa, stepping in front of Birdie, his hand leaving her "your mother and I, we're like sisters in a way. Targeted by the same monster. So I find myself feeling protective of you" Medusa responded, Birdie went to speak but was stopped, Percy interrupted "a monster?"

"My mom never talked about my dad that way" Medusa stopped and looked at the wall in front of her "where is she now, your mother? Is she safe?" "no," Percy answered, Birdie looked down "she's not" "and do you trust your friends to help you to make her safe? Will they let you make her safe if it conflicts with their quest?" Percy looked back at Birdie, seeing her stare at the ground.

"I could.. help you remove them from the equation, so that you can be free of them. All of them, both sisters. If you ask me to."

Percy turned, Birdie looked up. She felt guilty. She had no clue why but she felt guilty. He put his hands on her shoulders and turned her around, softly pushing her forward. Birdie quietly but quickly walked. She silently rushed to the other two, Percy behind her.

Then she spaced out.

Usually it happened when she was bored or if she didn't want to pay attention. But she spaced out.

What she did wasn't spacing out, it was just what she called it. She could block sound out. And sometimes it felt like she had her eyes closed and that was it. Like she was sleeping.

When she woke up, she was standing with Percy and Annabeth. Grover wasn't there and she didn't know where he was.

"We are not our parents until we choose to be," Medusa's voice rang through her ears "you three have chosen."

"Daughters of a self-righteous mother, one who chose self-righteousness for herself, the other who chose to be a coward cast behind her mother's shadow."

Even Medusa knew she was a coward. That meant her mother knew. That meant her mother would be ashamed.

Birdie was hidden behind a box with Percy. All she wanted was to be with Annabeth but she didn't know where she was. Annabeth was all that mattered to her and if she was going to die, she needed to know that Annabeth was safe or that Annabeth knew she loved her.

"And you, you could have shown your father what it means to stand up for someone you love. You could choose to save your mother instead of doing your father's bidding. If neither of you will help teach these lessons, perhaps you should be the lessons. When I ship your statues to Olympus... maybe that will get my point across even better. Stand up. Let's have a look at you."

Percy stood up, his eyes shut tight, his sword held out. Birdie held her knees to her chest and buried her head down, her eyes felt sewed shut, like she would never open them again. It felt like someone's hands covered her ears but there was no one there. She was alone. Not really alone but she felt alone.