𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

"Percy? Percy!" her screams echoed.

"An-- Annabeth! Annie!"

"Grover!"

She was alone.

Her surroundings were dark.

She was the only person there and she still felt unsafe.

A feeling of hands creeped up her legs. Fingers clenching her skin and pulling her down.

She was pushed down onto the ground, hands grabbing her arms and holding her down.

"Percy!"

The echo beat back to her. It seemed to bounce off of invisible walls, banging like a drum.

Tears ran down her face as she tried to free herself from the hands. "Please," she cried softly "please."

A hand reached from the dirt and wrapped around her neck.

"Please" she choked out, her voice strained as the boney fingers squeezed her throat.

Her eyes were tight but not yet closed. She thrashed, trying to get out of the grips she was trapped in.

Every second another hand reached out and grabbed her.

She felt the scars open up. She felt the blood seep down.

Why was she alone? Did they just forget about her? Did they even care? Did anyone care?

A scream that could break glass escaped her mouth.

She was all alone. Abandoned. 

Percy had left her behind. Grover had left her behind. Annabeth had no choice but the others had a choice. And they chose to leave her.

They left her.

Did they even know she was gone?

Did they?

For all they knew, she was just a bit behind.

But she wasn't.

She was stuck.

She needed help.

How could she get help?

No one could hear her.

Maybe the others were searching for her.

Or maybe they just gave up on her.

It wouldn't be the first time.

Two hands slowly snaked around her face, covering her eyes.

Everything was black.

The darkness seemed comforting.

Even if she felt like she was being torn apart, she felt comfort.

Birdie woke up hearing Luke's voice.

"Clarisse is the lightning thief."

She was asleep on the box Annabeth and Percy were sitting on, curled up with her head on Annabeth's lap. When she opened her eyes and saw Luke and heard Clarisse's name, she felt wide awake.

She had fallen asleep quickly after the doors of the truck closed, that meant she didn't hear Grover tell them.

Why would Clarisse steal the bolt? What reason does she have?

Birdie felt an anger rise. How could they just accuse her?

Clarisse was kinder to Birdie than she was to anyone else at camp, even her own siblings. She was someone that always seemed to be there for Birdie. She didn't talk to her but she was always there for her.