𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

"𝐈𝐓'𝐒 630 feet wide, 630 feet tall, both to within an inch. It's got no internal support. Each side is balanced perfectly against the other. The arch is held up by symmetry. It's held up by math. And it's earthquake-proof, so Poseidon can't ruin it" Annabeth said as they walked down the steps.

The scars that appeared on Birdie began to sting as she followed behind her sister. She thought that being in a place where her mother was worshipped had started healing her. That's what she hoped.

"Nice" Percy said "excuse me" Annabeth said, walking through the small crowd of people. Birdie was right behind her, her hand latched onto the strap Annabeth's bag. "This is how you show Athena your love. A monument to the power of perfection" "it's a monument to some other stuff, too" Grover added, they looked at the skull and gun set in display, there for all to see.

"You're talking about what some humans want this place to be about. I'm talking about what it actually is" Annabeth replied, Birdie wanted to say that it was just feeding Athena's ego but it wasn't the best idea "whatever. We're safe here, right?" Grover asked "no monsters can enter. Not even Echidna. We're safe" Annabeth assured him "great. Well, since our train exploded, I'm gonna see if there's another one we can get tickets on. We can't stay here forever," Grover looked at a depiction of men murdering animals and then turned back "just because we're prey, doesn't mean we need to be helpless."

Grover turned and walked off. Birdie wasn't sure about what she needed to do. Her brain told her to stay with Annabeth and Percy, but she was also worried about Grover getting hurt. Her mind felt jumbled, she thought of a third option.

"I'll be over there" Birdie told Annabeth, pointing to a spot not too far from them. Annabeth nodded as her sister let go of her bag and left.

Birdie walked across the room, stopping in a place where she was close to Grover and close to the other two. She felt calm knowing they were all protected. She didn't feel calm very often, this quest only pushed her rare peaceful moments farther and farther.

She also felt judged. This was a monument of her mother. Thinking about what Athena saw in her daughter made the sting grow. Children of Athena were meant to be proud, fearless warriors, and that was everything Birdie wasn't. She was scared and weak and was far from a warrior. Her mother had clearly made a mistake. That must have made Athena angry. She never made mistakes. No god did. And having a daughter be so different than what she was meant to be was a mistake that would never be forgotten.

Birdie-Mae Chase was the mistake that would remind Athena of her failure.

The more she thought about it, the more it stung. Birdie felt something drip down her ribs. She felt her shirt stick to her body. The sting turned into the feeling of a dagger. She looked down and saw the blood showing through her white shirt, streaks of dark red quickly connecting and turning into a large stain.

Birdie pressed her hands against her body and rushed back to Annabeth and Percy.

"Annie, something's wrong--" Birdie began as Percy fell to the ground. "Percy!" Annabeth sounded, Birdie stared at him while Grover came back "hey! What happened?" "I think.. I think those stinger things were poisonous" Percy panted, Birdie looked at Annabeth, she always knew what to do.

"I have an idea. Come on, help me" Annabeth said, she and Grover picked up Percy while Birdie remained still, only moving once they started to walk.

Birdie walked behind them, helping them sit Percy down in the fountain. 

The three knelt down in the fountain, Annabeth and Grover on his sides, Birdie behind him, and splashed water on the pale boy. "The water cured him back at camp, it should work for poison too, right?" "you know, I think it's-- I think it's working. This was a great call" Percy began to stand but fell back down, Birdie caught him and gently pushed him back up.

She was ignoring the blood that continued to pour out of her, Percy needed help, it didn't matter.

"Or not" "maybe it needs to be naturally running water for Poseidon to be able to heal him" the sounds of screeches, crashes, and shattering came to their ears. "Okay, we need to get back inside" Annabeth said "no, we need to keep trying" Grover argued "this isn't working and she's coming."

They looked back and saw Echidna walking towards them. "Okay, look, we'll take Percy inside, and we'll go to the temple's altar" Annabeth and Grover quickly stood up, Birdie remained down "altar? Where is there an altar?" "the highest point, the best view" "okay, but what good is that even gonna do us?"

"We're gonna get to the altar and we're going to ask my mom for help" Annabeth answered. Birdie stared up at her. "I thought we didn't ask for help" Percy said, Annabeth looked down at him and then turned back to Echidna.

"Come on, let's get moving" Annabeth and Grover helped Percy back to his feet, Birdie stood with him.

Grover and Birdie put Percy's arms over their shoulders and guided him "what happened to you?" Percy asked, gasping quietly, staring at the blood marked on Birdie's shirt "don't worry about it" Birdie answered, Grover looked forward at her, noticing her shirt.

They slowed down and turned back at Annabeth, who was still, staring at Echidna.

"Guys, d-- did you hear that?" Annabeth asked "hear what?" "never mind. Come on" Annabeth joined them, staying on Birdie's side. A sharp voice echoed through Birdie's ears, the words felt like venom. She continued on, she needed to protect Percy.