𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐖𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐄𝐍 𝐈𝐅 𝐈 𝐉𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐃𝐈𝐒𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐃?

That was her only thought as she stared out the window of the train, not listening to what was being said. The rest of the group talked of their quest, figuring out durations and problems that may occur.

Birdie was sat across from her sister, next to Percy. He was next to the window but she still had a clear view of their surroundings. She didn't want to be there. She wanted to be alone, or back at camp. But those options weren't possible. Annabeth told her that she needed to stay with them, there was no splitting up. And she couldn't go back to camp. That was just admitting that she was a bigger coward than everyone thought.

"Can I ask a dumb question?" Percy said, asking a question about asking a question was funny to Birdie. She found very simple things funny. "It's like you need me to make fun of you" Annabeth replied, Birdie gave her a look and then turned back to Percy, she smiled and nodded "shoot" Grover said.

"I've never been to Los Angeles before. I'm guessing none of you have been to Los Angeles. So, how will we have any idea where we're going?" Percy asked "if we see a mansion with the letters 'B.H.' on the gate, I'll have a bit of a clue" Birdie responded with a shrug while the rest gave short answers "no idea" Grover shrugged. "'B.H.' on a gate-- what are you talking about?" Annabeth asked Birdie, who replied with a smile.

"But," Grover continued "that's like step thirty seven, and we're still on step four. Cross that bridge when we get there" "follow-up stupid question" Percy said after thinking for a few seconds "dude" Annabeth sighed while rolling her eyes, Birdie seemed to be off in her own world again. Except she was thinking of a man-horse with addiction problems.

"'And you shall fail to save what matters most in the end.' Back in Jersey, I told you the Oracle said this quest would fail. And no one's mentioned it since. Seems like something we oughta be taking a little more seriously" Percy said "back in the 90's, I was in a very famous-- wait, what?" Birdie was back and present, ready to pay attention for a short moment before returning to her strange thoughts about strange things.

Percy stared out the window "hey. Look at that," he said, the rest of the group looked out "are those.." "Centaurs" Annabeth finished, the four watched a small herd of Centaurs, Birdie's admiration quickly transformed into confusion, and then hunger, and then boredom. "No one even knows they're there" Percy noted after looking around the train "there used to be herds of them everywhere" Grover said, Birdie's eyes wandering from window to window, trying to see if there was a small detail in any of them. Something that made them different from the rest.

Without knowing it, Birdie had stood up and began to walk up and down their compartment, scanning the walls, the floor, everything, for something different. Even something small, something ever so tiny, made it special.

"Erin, back" Annabeth said, not looking at her sister but knowing she had wandered off. Birdie quickly walked back to their table, where an officer was stood. Annabeth opened her bag and passed their tickets to the officer. He looked down at them, then at the children. "You're in Cabin 17B?" the officer asked, Birdie went to correct him, about to say she was from Cabin Six, but Annabeth stopped her by putting her hand up to Birdie's stomach while shaking her head. Birdie then smiled at the officer and nodded, trying her best to seem innocent. She was innocent of any crime she would be accused of. Most times. But, this time, she was sure she was innocent, there was nothing she could have done.

The officer lead them back to their cabin. Their cabin that was completely destroyed.

"What the fu--" "Erin" Annabeth whispered, lightly kicking her foot. "You wanna explain?" Birdie's eyes focused on the claw marks, they seemed to stare back at her "wait. Wait, you think we did this?" Percy asked "did you?" "I mean.. how? And why?" "sir, when we left to get breakfast, everything was intact. We don't know how this happened" Grover said "we got a witness here, says she heard the window smash, and then heard children's voices" Birdie looked at the woman who claimed she heard them.

The woman made short eye contact with her and then looked back at the officer who joined her, continuing with her story. At that moment, Birdie felt a sharp stinging on her skin, like fresh wounds met with clothing.

"Oh, come on" Percy groaned "wanna tell me what time you left the cabin?" "are we under arrest?" Annabeth asked, still staring into the ruined cabin "I don't think you wanna take that tone with me, little girl" Annabeth turned to the officer with a cold glare.

"Are we under arrest?"