𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

"𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐍!"
Annabeth called out, running up the hill to her older sister as she helped Clarisse fight the large bronze bulls.

Birdie looked down - also seeing Percy and another boy.

Of course, Birdie had been distracted by her little sister's yelling. The bull she was currently fighting struck and she fell to the ground.

Clarisse quickly appeared next to Birdie. She pulled the daughter of Athena up and pushed her away, with much more force than she would have used the previous summer.

Birdie hoped it was just Clarisse trying to protect her. But that probably wasn't true.

After the Chase sisters had left Camp Half-Blood, Clarisse and Birdie never got a chance to talk about what had happened at the lake.

And with their last conversation, she was sure.

There was no relationship.

Birdie-Mae saw Percy when he was halfway up the hill, where he wasn't able to help. She had fallen back down when she was pushed by Clarisse, so she was in a vulnerable position, easy for the bulls to attack.

She attempted to stand, but the fear and pain that had filled her was overpowering. When the bull had hit her, the fall from Clarisse adding, made gashes, not to mention future bruises. As well as the fear she felt from everything, she was done.

She couldn't get to her feet. With each attempt, she just fell back down.

"Hold the line!" Clarisse ordered, looking back at the older Chase as she struggled to get up. The bull that had caused Birdie's injury had been running after Annabeth, while she tried to distract it, gave up and began to charge toward Clarisse.

"Behind you! Look out!" Percy yelled, just as the bull crashed into her.

"Clarisse!" Birdie screamed as Clarisse flew back to a patch of grass that was smoking slightly. Birdie didn't expect to be so loud, or to react like that.

In that moment, Birdie's strength returned. She rushed over, not caring if she would be killed by a bull, or two bulls, or any god that could appear and end her.

"Get away from me" Clarisse snapped, pushing her away as she tried to help her up.

Birdie persisted, trying to help her again, but Clarisse pushed her back again.

"Stop it, Birdie-Mae. I don't need your help" Clarisse spat, shoving her away.

"Shut up, Clarisse" Birdie said, picking her up by her armour and dragging her out of the way of the bulls as Percy ran forward with Riptide out, fighting against the bronze bulls.

"What is wrong with you?" Clarisse grunted as Birdie dropped her onto the grass, pushing herself up to her feet.

Birdie glared back at Clarisse as she stood in front of her. She had never really been like this, especially not towards Clarisse. "You're asking me that?" Birdie scoffed, watching Clarisse roll her eyes "I'm trying to be nice to you, Clarisse, but you're not letting me."

"I don't need you to be nice. I don't need you to talk to me, or look at me. Just pretend I don't exist. Can you do that, Birdie-Mae?" Clarisse said, as if Birdie was a child.

"Clarisse-" Birdie began, but was stopped. This was hell for her.

"Can you do that?" Clarisse repeated, stepping closer. Birdie took a deep breath and nodded. She had completely forgotten about the bronze bulls and the attack that was being set out onto Camp Half Blood. Clarisse made her so distracted, she made her forget everything.