𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

𝐓𝐇𝐄 feeling of pain continued to burden the eldest Chase sister. 

"So we're just killing time 'til we find out that guy's like a werewolf or something, right?" Percy asked. The other three looked back at the officer, Annabeth turned back first "I don't think he's a monster" "yeah, I think he's just a bitch" Birdie agreed, attempting to ignore the hurt that was attacking her ribs "hard to say" Grover said. "Well, if he's not a monster, what's going on here? Why would anyone tear our room apart?" "maybe they were looking for something" Grover offered "like drugs" Birdie added.

Another sharp sting shot through her body.

"I'll be back" Birdie whispered, standing up. The male officer spoke up "excuse me, where do you think you're going?" "bathroom" Birdie replied, turning around and beginning to walk "sit back down" the officer said. She took this as an opportunity to make him uncomfortable and have an excuse she could use multiple times.

"Are you familiar with the female body?" she asked, putting her hands together in front of her and tilting her head "yeah?" "then you are aware that we have rather unpleasant situations. And, right now, they need tending to. Can I go?" the officer shooed her off, she turned back and left.

She closed the bathroom door and locked it. Birdie stood in front of the mirror, hearing a soft ringing noise. She lifted up her shirt, expecting to see nothing. But, of course, she saw something. Long, bloody scars trailing down from her ribs to her stomach. She remembered the cabin, this was what it looked like.

She tried her best to remain calm. She gathered some toilet paper and ran it under water. She carefully watched herself in the mirror as she wiped the scars, hoping it would relieve her of the pain she was experiencing. She was met with more great stings once the water touched her skin. 

Eventually, it calmed down slightly, only leaving a soft agony beating in her body.

Once she had finished, she quickly returned to take her seat next to Percy. She reached her friends and sister as the woman, the witness, talked, a bag behind her growling. The others looked scared. She had missed a lot.

"If I exist for anything," the woman said, noticing Birdie join them "it is to stand in the way of monsters like you" another growl came from the bag.

Birdie stepped closer to Percy, she couldn't tell if it was from fear or protectiveness that she was doing this. Either way, she needed him close to her.

"My little one here. She's just a pup now. Bless her heart," the woman chuckled "today you will be her prey" the woman stood, the growling continued. "Are you afraid yet?" she asked, a creepy smile on her face "oh, it's alright. Fear is natural. It's also essential to the hunt. Your fear. Your doubt. Your confusion. I needed you to understand what was happening so that she could track the scent. So that she could learn and grow because that's what a good mother does for her children" she smiled as the bag began to unzip.

"Not that you would know" the woman added, looking at Birdie and Annabeth. Birdie glared at her, taking a step forward. Percy grabbed her wrist, yanking her back while shaking his head repeatedly.

The growls grew louder and louder "you should run now."

The fold of the bag fell down, Birdie swiftly jumped out of the way as part of the monster struck itself into Percy. "What kind of fucking dog is that!" Birdie yelled, watching Annabeth stab into the creature.

"Go!"

Birdie pulled Percy out of his seat and pushed him forward along with Grover, then moving Annabeth in front of her. She ran behind them all. If one of them needed to go, it had to be her. It was just her job.

The four rushed through the train, this was far too much danger for kids.

Annabeth grabbed a chain and pulled it through some handles, connecting it together. And trapping them.

"Percy" Grover said, pulling a stinger out of Percy's chest "what is that?" Percy asked, Birdie looked at him like he was already dead "it's a stinger. Grover, do you know what kind of monster has one of those?" Annabeth asked "I don't know. I mean, nothing good probably" "well that's reassuring" Birdie said with a sarcastic smile. This was very new for her.

"Do you feel okay?" "I think so. Why? Do you think it's poisonous or something?" Percy said, clutching the left side of his chest "I'm not sure" Annabeth said. The transit officers continued to yell and bang on the door "give us a minute!" Birdie yelled back at them. The train shook.

The four children stared forward. Birdie began to back away, tugging Percy along with her. "We gotta move" Grover said as they all began to run again.

They all ran out from the train, onto the rails of other paths. "I don't know what breed it is, but it needs to be put down" Birdie huffed, still hearing soft growls of the monster "why isn't it still chasing us?" Percy asked, they all looked at the train, nothing coming after them "Echidna said whatever she was hiding in that carrier, it's young. It won't venture too far from her mother. She's learning to hunt and this seems like the hunting part" Annabeth said "that was Echidna?" Birdie had missed a lot in her short time away from the group.

And now, they needed a place to hide where it was safe.

A place dedicated to the Chase sisters' very own mother.