𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞

"Hey, Stork."

Birdie's eyes shot open as she heard this. She was back at Camp Half-Blood, in the infirmary, with Clarisse sitting in the chair next to her. "Hi-- hi" Birdie mumbled, sitting up "quest went well?" Clarisse asked, shuffling the chair closer and leaning forward, resting her arms on her legs "I think. I don't know. Something happened and I kind of went away" Birdie answered, her hands fiddling with the blanket laid over her legs "you're fine so everything's okay. Your sister's back. So's the satyr" Clarisse smiled, waiting to hear more.

"What about Percy?" Birdie asked, adjusting her position and turning more to Clarisse, who scoffed and rolled her eyes "he's not back yet. Annabeth said something about him and the bolt" Clarisse said, hoping that the conversation would switch to something other than the annoying blonde boy who had interrupted their moment together before the quest began.

"How did I get here?" Birdie questioned, looking around the infirmary "I got you here. I found you out in the field, you know, where blondie cut in before I could talk" Clarisse replied, that moment hadn't left her mind the entire time Birdie was gone, it was just replaying over and over in her head. Birdie nodded, remembering their short conversation.

Clarisse let out a short breath and leaned back in her chair "so, was I right? Were you the reason it worked?" "no. I kind of just made everything worse" Birdie sighed, scratching her head "doesn't matter. You're fine" Clarisse smiled.

The daughter of Ares then stood up "I think you're all good," Clarisse said, pulling the blanket off of Birdie's body "your shoes are over there. Hurry up. I want to do something" she then walked out of the room.

Well, that was quick.

Birdie listened to Clarisse's words and stood, picking up her old, almost ruined grey shoes, which used to be white. She slid them on and hurriedly tied the laces, not very well. They would untie if she ran, and, of course, she ran.

She had been changed from her blood-soaked shirt and dirty jeans into her Camp Half-Blood t-shirt and jean shorts. She asked Clarisse where her clothes were but Clarisse said that this was how she found her.

Birdie followed Clarisse quite quickly, chasing after her like a puppy. "Say hi to your sister and then go to the river" Clarisse instructed as they reached cabin six, Birdie did exactly as she was told and watched Clarisse walk away. She entered the cabin, where she was immediately tackled by her little sister.

Annabeth wrapped her arms around Birdie, squeezing her so tight she felt like she was going to pop.

"Hey, Annie" Birdie smiled, returning the hug "what happened? You weren't on the beach, how did you get back here?" "long story which I will tell you later. I need to go find Clarisse" Birdie said, stepping back and going to leave. Annabeth grabbed her arm "Erin, why do you want to do that? Clarisse stole the bolt" she mumbled, stepping closer so that the others wouldn't hear "no, she didn't. I'm going. I'll talk to you later" Birdie pushed Annabeth's hand away and turned back.

Annabeth's face twisted with anger as she watched her sister defend the one who caused this all to happen. Seeing Birdie walk away just made Annabeth more anxious for Percy to return, she wasn't the only one.

As Birdie walked through the camp, going towards the river, she kept looking around for any sign of Percy Jackson. But there was nothing.

Birdie walked down onto the rocks that bedded the river, giving it a wall of gravel. Clarisse was already there, as expected, sitting close to the water but far enough that she wouldn't get wet. "Hi" Birdie said, sitting down next to her.

Clarisse turned her head and smiled "that was quick" she chuckled "what did you want to talk about?" Birdie asked, picking up one of the small rocks that stabbed into her leg "I didn't really want to talk" Clarisse said, not turning away like she usually would "then.. what did you want to do?" Birdie was never good at understanding what people were implying or how they were feeling, and this was making her very confused.

Clarisse laughed again, amused by how oblivious Birdie was. The only times Birdie had heard Clarisse laugh was then she was being rude to someone, so the laughing was condescending or insulting, but this wasn't one of those laughs. It almost seemed real.

Birdie looked at her smile, not wanting to blink in case it was just her imagination and it would disappear.

One girl was cold and angry. The other was sweet and afraid.

The complete opposites of each other.

And yet they both liked the other.

"You're pretty great" Clarisse said softly, just like in the field. It was quiet. A silent air passed through the two as they looked at each other. "Yeah?" Birdie smiled, that same feeling washed over her, feeling like a wave crashing down "yeah" Clarisse nodded.

With a fear of being interrupted again, Clarisse took her chance.

She leaned forward and did what she had been waiting to do for weeks.

A small kiss was planted on Birdie's lips.

Holy shit.

Birdie stared at her as Clarisse fell back into her position where she looked straight at the water. More silence. Birdie did the same as Clarisse, looking out at the blue water that pushed back and forth.

This silence was another good silence. A smile broke out onto both of their faces, but they didn't look at each other.

Neither went to speak. They just sat in the quiet.

"He's back!" a camper yelled, getting shouts from others in return. "Percy's back!" "it's Percy!" "he's here!"

"Come on" Clarisse said, getting to her knees and standing up. She offered her hand to Birdie. This was better than the field. Birdie quickly took her hand, accepting the help.

This time, Clarisse didn't pull her hand away once she was standing. This time, Clarisse guided Birdie, keeping their hands together.

They made their way back to the cabins, where everyone was gathered. "I need to go" Clarisse whispered before rushing to the other Ares children. Birdie watched her with a small smile, then turning to see Annabeth with her arms around Percy.

A strange feeling filled Birdie's heart. A feeling of sadness, anger, and relief. She pushed the feeling down and joined her sister and the little blonde boy she had vowed to herself that she would protect. She didn't do a very good job but he was alive so that counted as a win.

Annabeth heard Birdie come closer and let go of Percy, stepping aside.

"Masie" Percy smiled, placing his hand out in front of him and then lowering it "Percy" Birdie said, doing the same. Just like the first day.

Birdie-Mae had succeeded. She made a friend and she didn't die, neither did any of them. They came close, but they didn't.