𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

"𝐒𝐇𝐄 was the bravest demigod I ever knew," Birdie snapped out of her bleary daze, she had missed an entire conversation but still knew they were talking about Thalia "she fought valiantly, and she met a hero's fate" Birdie looked at the tree, she had already said goodbye and Annabeth had just finished saying hers.

"She met a pinecone's fate" Percy said, Annabeth glared at him and Birdie hit his arm "dude" she whispered, shaking her head.

"Forbidden children are always in danger, even the strongest ones, even Thalia. And you are not Thalia. Do exactly as I say, and maybe you survive this. Are we clear?" Annabeth then turned around, beginning their quest.

The three stood there "does she think she's in charge?" Percy asked, looking at the other two "who'd you think would be in charge?" Grover responded as they began walking behind her "I guess I assumed we'd do a show of hands or something" Percy said, Birdie shook her head "sorry, dude" she sighed, patting his shoulder.

She moved in front of the two boys, still very close to them, she wanted to be close enough to Annabeth while still maintaining a distance and close enough to Grover and Percy so that she would have someone to talk to.

₊˚.⋆☾⋆⁺₊✧

Birdie was sat next to Annabeth on the bus, Grover and Percy were paired together. Birdie was in her own world while the others were talking. She was staring outside the window, looking at passing cars, smiling at how different each tree looked. She had seen it all before. She still loved it every time.

The bus stopped for a break. Annabeth stood and Birdie was pulled back into reality. "I'll come with you" Percy said, going to stand "no, you'll stay right there" Annabeth replied, pushing him back into his seat "why? It smells terrible back here" "monsters can't smell you through that, so that's where I want you" Annabeth said, Birdie watched the two, as did Grover.

"I wanna vote" Percy said "democrat" Birdie mumbled, moving into Annabeth's seat so that she didn't feel left out. Percy ignored her comment and continued "who thinks that we should all go get to breathe fresh air and buy our own snacks?" Birdie raised her hand, keeping it to her chest, Percy raised his "there's no voting," Annabeth said, Birdie slowly lowered her hand "chips and sodas okay for you guys?" "I don't think you should just get to decide we don't vote" Percy responded "I'm sorry to hear that" Birdie pulled Annabeth's arm, something she did when she was to scared to tell her to 'shut up'.

"Okay. I wanna vote on whether you get to decide we don't vote" Percy's repeated use of the word vote made Birdie want to gag, she reached over and put a hand on Percy's shoulder "sweetie, there's no voting. Okay?" she whispered with a small nod, then taking her hand away and leaning back into the seat "Grover, please, can you help your--" Annabeth paused as Grover was clapping "--friend?" "I really don't wanna be a tiebreaker. I have a better idea" Grover offered, continuing to clap, the clapping then became quicker.

Birdie took this as an opportunity to space out again. She sunk back into her own seat and turned to the window, everyone's words became blurry again. After a moment, Annabeth tapped Birdie's shoulder "just plain chips?" she asked, Birdie smiled and nodded "do you need me to come--" Annabeth interrupted "stay here. Watch them" she tilted her head in the way of Percy and Grover, Birdie nodded again. Annabeth walked away and Birdie went back to Annabeth's seat as Percy shook his head "our voting system's broken" she did not want to listen to them.

Birdie tried to pay attention but her focus went to the outside surroundings from the boys' side of the bus. She didn't get to see it from that side. She liked that side. That side didn't have to look at people Birdie found scary looking. That side had to look at trees.

She spent a long time looking at the other side. So long that when she felt pulled back, they had to run. A fury broke through the bus. She would have been crushed by it if Percy hadn't pulled her away. "I don't like this" Birdie whispered, looking back at the boy who held onto her like if he let go, she'd disappear "that's okay" Percy whispered back, staring at the creature in front of them.

Birdie turned around, her mother would be so disappointed. Percy held her tightly, she went to look back but he covered her eyes just as Annabeth threw the blade.

"We're done here. Let's go" Annabeth said as she climbed out the broken window of the bus. Percy let go of Birdie as she hurried out, she dropped down to the ground. Everyone was there but the one. "Percy, come on!" Birdie yelped, thankfully he jumped out right after she said it.

"Come on" Percy huffed as they all quickly walked from the bus. Birdie stayed close to Percy, she stayed right next to him. She was petrified.

Danger was her biggest fear and now that fear was following her around, stalking her.

She spent the beginning of the walk looking behind them in every direction, every second. She was so unsure. She was so scared. "It's okay," Percy said softly "you're okay" Birdie looked at him, shaking her head. He nodded "you're okay" he repeated.

"You're okay."