13

!!TW!!!

SH references, r word

CHAPTER 13

We're all sat round in the common room, playing games and absentmindedly chatting. There's that horrible smell again.

I stand up, following my nose to the fridge. Stood there is Backugo.

'What do you want icy hot?' He grunts. I ignore him, and begin sniffing around the kitchen. I smell him for good measure. Nope, just caramel as per usual.

'What the hell are you doing!' He protests. 'Gross smell' I say, continuing my search. My nose rests by the sink. I smell the drain, and gag.

'Denki!' I yell. Denki comes into the kitchen 'Yeah what's up Shobro?' He asks. I point at the sink. 'Found it' I say. Denki smells the sink, retching.

'Ew' He says. Backugo smells the sink. 'I don't smell anything!' He says angrily. 'How? It's horrible!' Denki protests. By now, a small group of people have gathered by the kitchen.

'What's up?' Kirishima asks. 'We've found the bad smell' Denki says, 'there's something in the sink.'

We all look towards Momo, who is sort of the class DIY person. She rolls her eyes. 'You guys are honestly useless without me. Let me take a look'. She creates a small camera, putting it down the sink.

'I can't see anything' She says. 'Go further down' Denki says. She huffs.

'Can you smell the smell Iida?' Jiro asks. He adjusts his glasses. 'No. I've actually got the opposite problem. I can hardly smell anything'. She nods, understanding.

'EW!' Momo shrieks, pulling the camera out. 'What?' Everyone asks.

'There's like some mouldy meat down there'. Backugo grins. 'Let's take a look' He takes the camera off Momo, looking. His face goes pale.

'That's rank' He says. 'I have an idea' Mina says. She stands over the sink, creating some acid. 'Don't do that racoon eyes! You'll melt the pipes!' Backugo yells. 'You really think I can't control the strength of my own acid? Jesus' She says, rolling her eyes. She turns on the tap, washing her acid down the drain.

Everyone waits. I smell the air again. 'It's gone!' I say. 'Thanks Mina!' She smiles. 'No worries guys. Damn, you're like hound dogs'. Denki laughs. 'Wait till we tell you that we know who's coming just by what they smell like'.

'WHAT?' Screams Mina. 'Okay we have to test this!'

-later-

I have a blindfold on. The class have found a new game called 'Who's that smell?' Where basically they take it in turns to stand in front of Denki and I and then we deliberate and say who we think it is.

A person shuffles fowards. 'That's easy.' Denki says. I laugh. 'Yup! Caramel'. 

'Backugo' Denki says. He huffs. 'Fucking dunceface and icyhot can smell anyone'. Another person shuffles fowards. We sit in silence for a bit. 'Honey. Probably...Hagurake'. She squeals with delight. 'Damn guys, even though I'm invisible you can smell me coming!'

We both burst out laughing. Another person approaches. Hmm.

I turn to Denki. 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' 'Yup' I say. I turn to where I think the class is. 'Guy's that's cheating!' I say.

Everyone groans. Denki and I laugh. 'Hello Mr Aizawa' I say, taking off the blindfold. He stands there, amazed.

'Damn kids. How'd you know?' We look at eachother. 'Coffee' We both say simultaneously. He laughs. 'Makes sense'. We both get up off the floor, removing our uniform ties from our eyes.

'Anyway. I came up here to let you all know that tomorrow we will be having a seminar on mental health and neurodivergency. I believe it prudent considering eveything that's been happening' We all nod in agreement.

'So you can get back to...whatever it is you are doing' He says, leaving the room. We all burst out laughing.

'Damn, its weird to know what you smell like' Jiro says. 'At least yours is lemon, apparently I smell like damp soil' Kirishima says, saddened. 'I'd rather damp soil than fromage' says Aoyama.

'Hey Sho, what do I smell like?' Denki asks. 'Erm, kind of like, you know after a firework there's that sort of musty smell. Like...gunpowder' I say. 'DOPE!' Denki yells, fistbumping the air. Kirishima groans. 'That's so manly, can we trade?'

'What do I smell like Denki?' I ask. He sniffs me. 'Metallic.'

He can smell your cuts.

'O-oh cool'. I say, trying hard not to make eye contact. 

'Anyway' Says Deku. 'It's getting late. Let's let the hound dogs get some sleep'. Everyone nods in agreement, beginning to head to their rooms. Deku follows me to mine.

'Rosemary, huh?' He says. 'Yeah. It's nice' I say. We head inside my room, as I go into the bathroom to do my teeth. 

'Do you want me to stay over again?' I hear him ask from the bedroom. I have an idea, but I don't know if it's weird. I finish my teeth, the head back into the bedroom.

'Well, erm, I can sleep alone, but I feel comforted by your smell' I say, awkwardly fiddling with the hem of my shirt. I hear a rustling, and look over and see Deku taking off his jumper.

'Here' he says. I grab it, pulling it on, shamelessly smelling it. 'Thanks' I say quietly, as my face heats up. He laughs. 'Don't worry about it.' He pulls me into a tight hug. 'You're doing great' he says. I sigh, content. He kisses the top of my head.

You're not doing great. You still want to kill yourself. He doesn't even know about your attempt.

'Well, I'll see you tomorrow' he says, heading out the room. 'And if you need me, you know where my room is. I'll keep it unlocked from now on'.

'But what if someone breaks in?' I ask with worry. He laughs. 'I'm All-Might's secret love child, remember? I'll be fine' My turn to laugh. He smiles, then leaves the room.

I climb into bed, and it's not long before the voice comes back.

You're going to break his heart. He won't love you when he finds out about your attempt.

I sigh, trying my best to ignore the voice by smelling his jumper. 

Look at you, you're a creep.

I guess. I take the jumper off, putting it on the back of my desk chair.

Much better.

Whatever.

Monoma was right you know. 

But everyone said they support me?

Social convention says that. Deep down inside they think you're a retard.

I roll over, trying to get comfy. I begin to absentmindedly begin to scratch my arms, which reopens some of the cuts.

Fuck sake.

I head into the bathroom, reapplying the bandages. Why am I so ugly? I think, throwing away the old bandages.

Because you should never have been born. You're a mistake.

I know, I think, climbing back into bed. Maybe I should go to Deku's room.

Don't disturb him, he needs his sleep.

But he said-

He didn't mean it. He was being polite.

I get a ping on my phone, from Denki.

Pikachu: I'm so sorry Shoto.

Attached is a video. I open it, revealing Monoma yelling at me. 'Todoroki over here is autistic!' He says. 'So?' Retorts Deku. 

Shit. It's been posted to YouTube, with over a million views.

I get a text. 

Endevour: You and I need to have a little chat.