38

CHAPTER 38

She cocks her head to one side, her vampiric teeth catching the light.
'As I recall, the police have him'
I huff out. 'Not Dabi, Natsuo'.
She thinks. 'Hmmm. Which one's that? Once you've seen the insides of people all the outsides begin to look alike'.
One of the police officers interject 'we said no funny business. Or have you forgotten the terms of our agreement'. Her smile turns to a pout. 'You're ruining my fun Mr Policeman'.
She turns back to me, transforming herself into Natsuo. 'Is it this one?' She asks in the voice of my brother. I nod. She turns back into her normal form.
'Caretaker has him'.
'Who's caretaker?' I take a step towards her.
'Oh, right, of course you guys don't know Caretaker. He's the guy in charge. Well at least I think he is. Hard to tell between him and Shiggi'. She sighs.
'Where is Caretaker?' Aizawa asks. She tuts. 'Now now eraserhead, I said I'd only talk to your darling son here'.
'Answer him' I say, again moving forward. She smiles. 'I have no idea now. He left earlier this evening. He could be anywhere in the world right now.'
'What does he look like?' I ask, now 5 metres away. She smiles. 'Oh I think we both know you know the answer to that one, don't we Shoto?' She transforms into the form of Aoto.
'Striking looking person, if I don't say so myself. What do you think Shoto? Todoroki's tend to like him!' She giggles.
I can feel myself getting angry 'I don't want to talk about this'. But then suddenly, Toga's on top of me, pulling a small razor out from under her tongue. She's holding the blade to my neck.
'I asked you a FUCKING QUESTION' She snarls. Several police officers are circling us; I can see Mic and Aizawa getting ready for a fight. I can feel the blade cut into my neck. I smile.
'Don't feel like it.' I say. Suddenly, her anger turns into a giggle. 'God, he wasn't lying' she says, climbing off me as two officers pin her to the floor, removing the razor blade. They begin hauling her away. 'You, Shoto are my greatest project yet!' She squeals with excitement. 'We'll have so much fun together!' They throw her into the back of a van, and pull away.
Aizawa and Mic pull me into a hug. 'You okay Kid?' Aizawa asks. I nod. He lifts my face up, looking at my neck. He breathes a sigh of relief. 'Just a scratch, don't think it even needs a plaster.' Mic nods in agreement.
'Ho are you feeling?' He asks. I think. How am I feeling? I should be scared right? But I'm not, I'm...elated.
'Fine' I say, as deadpan as I can go. We begin heading back to UA.

-morning-

I head down to the kitchen, and the whole class pounces on me.
'What happened last night?'
'Was it really Toga?'
'What did she say?'
I begin to get overwhelmed. Too much too much too much...
'Oi! give him some space you muppets' Denki yells. Everyone goes quiet. 'Let him eat'. Everyone peels off, going back to their collective groups.
'Now, give me the gossip' Denks says. I chuckle. We sit down together on the couch.
'Nothing much. Just that my brother's boyfriend is the evil villain behind everything.'
'Your brother's boyfriend is the evil WHAT?' Deku half screams. Everyone looks at him. I huff.
'Aoto, the guy that came round with Natsuo is the leader of the LOV. He has a mind control quirk.'
There's an uncomfortable silence.
'You mean, the small like dude with blue hair?' Kirishima asks. I nod.
'Damn' says Jiro.
'But, how...' Ojiro asks.
'I'm not sure how it works. But we know for sure it happens when he interacts with your memories'.
'Makes sense' Backugo says. 'Remember how he asked us for our stuff?'
'Thought you couldn't get mind controlled Cat-suki' Mina giggles. 'Shut your face racoon eyes!' He screams back.
Deku grabs his back, pulling off an Allmight keychain. 'Huh' he says. Everyone looks at him.
'What is it?' Momo asks.
Suddenly, I pick up a rancid smell. I look at Denki, who also wrinkles up his nose.
'Dude, there's something wrong with that doll'.
Deku hands over the keychain to Denki, who directly smells it. 'Fucking hell, that gross'. He tries to pass it to me, but I shake my head. Suddenly, everyone begins running to their rooms, looking for the items they gave to Aoto. I pull out my own pencil case, putting the pencil on the table.
They come back, putting all their items on the table. Denki and I begin to hold my nose.
'They're horrible' I say. 'Throw them in fire' Denki adds.
'Might not actually be a bad shout' Momo says. 'Might stop his quirk'.

-later-

All the items are in a bin. 'Anybody want to say some last words? Mina asks. 'It's just rubbish Mina, stop being so dramatic' Backugo says, igniting his hands.
I look over to Deku, who is muttering intently.
'Do we even know if this will work?' I ask. 'What if it makes it worse?' Everyone stops to think.
'I don't think we should do anything without consulting somebody'
Suddenly, Deku jumps into the air. 'Of course! If he inlays his gift into the item, then the item itself becomes the quirk. This in turn means he is able to transfer his ability into any vessel, a number of times without being worn out!'
We all stare at Deku. 'What do you mean nerd?' Backugo asks.
'Look at it like this, Shinso controls people by asking a question, yes? And after that, there's a limit to the number of people he can control'.
'What?' Shoji asks.
Deku huffs. 'Put it like this. For his quirk to be used, he has to interact with somebody. But when there's multiple people, that must get very tiring! So why not put part of your quirk into an item close to the person being controlled?'
'So it's kinda like when mum got a wifi extender for upstairs cause we had shit bars' Backugo asks. Everyone 'ahs' now understanding.
'Precisely'. Deku smiles. 'Which means, we're dealing not only with a mind control quirk, but a storage type quirk'.
'Compress!' Momo yells. Deku smiles. 'Exactly. Which means...' He rips the head off Allmight, revealing a cracked orb. 'Bingo'.
'But I gave Aoto a pencil?' I ask. 'You cant put an orb in a pencil'. Deku thinks. 'You could if you compressed an orb within an orb, to a point it was so small it could easily be pushed into the lead'.
'Like a tiny Russian doll, ribbit.' Asui says.
'Burning wont do anything Backugo. They're marble' He turns to Mina. 'But acid will'.
Mina smiles. 'My time to shine'.