Two

A few seconds later I'm stuck in between Hafsa and her 'Aunty Hanaina'. There was a lot going on at the dinner table. Hafsa was having a conversation about who knows what, so I was just having my food not wanting any attention on me anyway. Jokes on me though because seconds later I'm asked what my name is.

"Nollani" I say not looking up still not wanting any attention on me.

"Oh Nollani! Sounds familiar." The woman next to me says. "Hafsa do you plan on introducing me?" Hanaina says sounding disappointed.

"Aunty Naina, I'm sorry" my best friend responds sounding innocent. "Lani this is my Aunty Naina she's my mom's very close friend. Aunty Naina I'm sure you know Lani now so no need for me to introduce her to you." Hanaina nods leaving Hafsa to continue with her previous conversation.

"Why are you being so shy with me? Am I making you uncomfortable?" Yes you are, "If so I can leave you alone." She says ever so softly. I turn to respond but I freeze when I'm met with the most beautiful dark eyes and perfect sweet smile. All that was going through my head now was how safe this woman felt. As much as I didn't want to talk to anyone, I don't mind her.

I took in her whole appearance. She was dressed in a long sleeved off the shoulder white maxi dress that showed her perfect shape. Her hair was long and dark which matched her eyes. She wore glasses which probably was the reason she looked so stern but her words were sweet. She's pretty tall compared to me who's just sitting at 143 cm.

I quickly realise that I'm ogling her and look away quickly apologising. The response I get is a "You're fine bubba" which makes me want to melt. She smiles before carrying on with her own conversation with Aunty Jasmine.

I can't help but stress over the fact that she may think I don't feel comfortable with her. I want to tell her she doesn't make me uncomfortable at all but I'm too scared to speak to her. She probably thinks I'm very weird too! Why did I just stare at her like that? I'm so dumb!

I'm listening to her speak, even though she wasn't speaking to me. She has a very soothing voice I can't help but feel jealous that she isn't paying attention to me anymore. I have no idea why I feel like that but I do. Hafsa checks on me to see if I'm still doing okay which I assure her I'm fine.

The night goes by with a few toasts and speeches which I'm so glad Hafsa didn't put me in the spotlight for. That's until she was thanking everyone for coming and roughly pulled me boldly telling everyone I was her bestfriend and a whole lot of cheesy nonsense. I was just standing there looking awkward. She finally lets go of me, thanks to her dad who sends her upstairs to get something.

Hafsa's dad wasn't around a lot because he's always out on business. Unlike the relationship I have with his wife, my relationship with him is cordial. I really envy his relationship with his daughter. Knowing him has shown me that not all men are airheads.

It was pretty late so it was just a few of us sitting around. Hafsa told me a bit about Hanaina. Turns out she lives around here and is an entrepreneur, sis has her own money. I wonder why I've never seen her here before. Hafsa did speak about an aunt of hers, she just didn't say who.

I head to the bathroom hoping to get some time alone. I stay in the bathroom for a pretty long time before Hafsa comes looking for me. "Lani? Are you okay?" She asks storming in joining me in the empty bathtub.

"Yeah I'm fine, it's just been a very long night" I softy whine resting my head on Hafsa's shoulder with my eyes closed.

"Maybe you should get to bed it is pretty late now."

"No! I'm not sleepy! Mean!" I respond before realising seconds later, that wasn't Hafsa speaking. I shoot up and look at the door way, it's Hanaina. I did say this woman makes me feel some type of way...

"Oh I'm so mean aren't I?" She walks in amused by my reaction. I look away shyly listening to Hafsa giggling at my slip of words.

"Hafsa your mother is looking for you love, I'll just stay here and talk to miss meanie." Hanaina says teasingly. Before I could even protest Hafsa leaves. There she goes throwing me under the bus.