Twenty Nine

I try to hide behind mommy but she pushes me in front of her. Mommy sits on the couch and I lean onto her, she moves over me so I'm sitting right next to her. I look at mommy for help because I don't know how to start this conversation, Mommy gives me a nod rubbing my back.

I look in Hafsa's direction and she smiles at me. It really helps to relax my nerves a bit taking me back to how she'd give me the same smile to comfort me during my worst days. I stand up grabbing Hafsa and drag her to a different place, because I'd rather not have this conversation in front of Mommy and Aunty Jas.

The closest place is the pantry so that's where we go. I enter and Hafsa comes in closing the door behind her. It's awkwardly quiet for a few seconds before Hafsa speaks "Sooo..." she begins, unsure of what to say. "are you two like a couple-?" She asks and my eyes go wide.

"Eww no! She's just my umm..." I hesitate.

"Caregiver?" She finishes my sentence off. I nod looking down, playing with my fingers. I look up because it's really quiet and it's getting awkward.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you." I finally say. "I didn't know how you were going to take it and I didn't want to disappoint you." I say. "BUT! You're also part of the problem because you didn't tell me you knew about these things." I say folding my arms over my chest.

"Don't even start little one." She says patting my head teasingly.

"You're so annoying!" I say shoving her off. She laughs leaning back on the door. She's staring right into my soul with a smirk.

"What ?!" I ask glancing at my outfit to spot anything weird.

"I thought you two were...fucking." She says raising her eyebrows mischievously. My cheeks start to warm up.

"You're so disgusting!" I say shoving her and she goes into a fit of laughter. I thought we were supposed to have a serious conversation, not this. Hafsa stops, frowning at me. I watch her intently wondering what she's up to now. She turns around roughly pulling the door and Mommy and Aunty Jas stumble into the room.

Mommy clears her throat straightening herself and Aunty Jas looks everywhere but at us. I giggle at how guilty they both look. "Were you not taught eavesdropping is rude!" Hafsa says folding her arms over her chest.

"Oh shush! That's rich coming from you!" Aunty Jasmine says pushing Hafsa aside. She walks over to me cupping my face. "You're so brave for having that conversation my angel, I'm so proud of you." She says teasingly giving my sloppy kisses. I squeal squirming around trying to free myself.

"Jasmine, leave my baby alone." Mommy says pulling me away. "And you young lady need a mouth soaping for all the dirt I heard coming out of your mouth a few minutes ago." Mommy tells Hafsa.

"Hey! I was only telling the truth. If you weren't so nosey you wouldn't have heard me!" Hafsa responds sassy. I don't know if she knows but she's sassing the wrong person. Mommy tries to grab her but her fingers slip and Hafsa runs off laughing and I follow after her.

We mannaged to shoo the 'mothers' away so we could have some time alone. The room currently looks like a tornado went past it. We were having a little concert singing to our favourite songs and eating all the junk we could find in the house. I'm not too sure mommy's gonna let that slide but oh well.

We're watching a romance movie, it's sort of Hafsa's guilty pleasure and unfortunately for me I'm stuck watching three part romance movies. "Lani, if I'm a potato just tell me." She says dramatically. "Why can't I find someone who loves me like that." I put my hand over her mouth to keep her quiet.

"It's because you look for unrealistic guys like that is why you can't find them." She rolls her eyes pushing my hand away.

"Like you know anything about guys!" She says scoffing.

"Oh is that how it is? At least I wasn't the one who found out I was actually the side chick."

"Shut up! At least he loved me!" She says.

"Aww you poor baby. I thought the same about my dad growing up." I laugh.

"Ouuu!" She says covering her mouth. "Now that's dark!" She says laughing along. We go back to watching the movie before Aunty Jasmine comes over.

"Time to go." She says in sing-song voice. My heart shatters a bit. Hafsa notices my change of mood and grabs my hand rubbing the back of it with her thumb. "What on earth happened here?" Her mother asks looking at the state of the room.

"Mumma, it's really not that bad." Hafsa says scratching the back of her neck.

"Yes it is!" Mommy says picking up a cushion from the floor. "As long as it gets cleaned up I won't be too upset." She says. I eork really slowly to clean up because I don't want Hafsa to leave yet. "You two really didn't need this much junk. I'm going to have a little one with a sugar rush tonight." Mommy says with a raised eyebrow.

"Mommy!" I say and I notice Hafsa gushing at me using "mommy" instead of her name.

Once we're done cleaning up, mommy and I say our goodbyes seeing them off. When I can no longer see their car I turn around wrapping my arms around Mommy's waist, burying my face in her belly.

"Want them to come back." I say softly

"I know my sweet girl." Mommy says picking me up to go back inside. Mommy lays down on the couch with me cuddled on top of her and she pats my bum rhythmically. I put my fingers in my mouth suckling softly. "Those fingers are icky aren't they pumpkin? We should get your binky to suckle on instead." I shake my head not wanting to hear any of it. "Okay, how about we wash those little hands and make brownies?"

"Yes!" I say excited making mommy chuckle.

"Let's go then." She says. I stand up waiting for her to get up as well. I run to the bathroom to wash my hands and mommy comes in after to wash hers too. I wait for her because mommy's being a slow poke right now. "Mommy let's go!" I whine.

"So impatient!" She says finally following me to the kitchen. Mommy takes out everything we're going to need.

"Mommy I do it, I big girl!" I say pushing her away but she hardly even moves.

"I know you are sweetheart but you have to let mommy help you so we actually end up with brownies." I glare a mommy because she's obviously being a meanie. She quickly gives me a peck on the lips making me smile even though I was trying my bestest not to. Ugh!