6 | family drama

❝ We have calcium in our bones, iron in our veins, carbon in our souls and nitrogen in our brains, 93 percent stardust with souls made of flames, we're all just stars that have people names

❝ We have calcium in our bones, iron in our veins, carbon in our souls and nitrogen in our brains, 93 percent stardust with souls made of flames, we're all just stars that have people names. ❞ -Nikita Gill

   The unease spread like a current of electricity through mom's face

The unease spread like a current of electricity through mom's face. She looked down at her feet, almost as if she was ashamed. When she lifted her gaze again, her pupils were dilating and her lids retracted the slightest bit. I knew that look. Dread.

"Mom?" I asked warily.

All of a sudden, she buried her face in her palms, a sigh of resignation leaving her lips. My brows shot up. I exchanged a quizzical look with Breeze McBon. Her greenish-brown eyes were scrunched as she studied mom's face. I tried to distinguish whether it was concentration or worry, but Breeze McBon wasn't someone easy to read.

"All right," mom finally spoke, lifting her head. Her voice sounded strangled. "I knew this day would come eventually."

As her lids fluttered open, I winced at the sight of her eyes all swollen and bloodshot.

"M-Mom," I swallowed. "W-What do you mean?"

She cleared her throat, staring at me dead in the eye. A weird feeling settled in the pit of my stomach-another look of hers I knew too well. It was the look she always gave me whenever there was something of grave importance she wanted to discuss.

"Polly," she began. "Perhaps I haven't been a hundred percent sincere with you."

The beatings of my heart increased. I didn't respond, only held my breath and let her continue.

"Listen, honey, I am sure you are aware that you're not an ordinary child. I know I have been harsh with you when it came to . . . magic." She flinched as the word left her mouth, like it was venomous on her tongue. "But I knew that if I made it known that I was aware of your . . . unusualness, you would demand further information, just like you've done about your father. Which I'm sorry to say that I still cannot give you, for reasons that I can't tell you just yet." She stole a glance at Breeze McBon, like a student who has just answered a question in class and is looking at the teacher for approval that they answered correctly. "You just . . . you just have to trust me on this."