12 | warming up

❝ Her messy hair, a visible attribute of her stubborn spirit

❝ Her messy hair, a visible attribute of her stubborn spirit. As she shakes it free, she smiles knowing that wild is her favorite color. ❞ -J. Iron Word

   "A what?" I asked

"A what?" I asked.

Sibi, Mike and I were all positioned in a circle on the wooden floor of his living room, discussing the "secret" Sibi had told me about earlier that day in the garden. It was early evening. A crescent moon hung low on a blanket of navy blue sky that was visible from the window. The chirping of crickets provided pleasant company to our candlelit conversation as we munched on leftover cookies Sibi had baked some days ago.

Apparently, both of them knew about it-my father's mysterious identity. Guess I had underestimated how much they were aware of regarding my heritage. But now was my chance to finally learn it all, everything I hadn't been told my whole life.

"A Dolphinus," Mike said. "Your Patronus animal takes form of a dolphin."

"How do you know that? I have never conjured a Patronus before."

"It is in your blood, Polly," Sibi answered. "Your dad was one of them. It's a genetic thing."

"That's why we are called this way? Because our Patronus takes form of a dolphin?" I asked in disbelief. "That's why my dad was considered dangerous? That's the reason the Ministry is after people like me?"

"No, of course not," responded Mike, swallowing the last bite of his cookie and clearing his throat. "I mean, there is a reason. A sensible one. But this is not the right time or place for you to find out."

"Why not?"

"Look, Polly, we aren't sure how you might react to all this," explained Sibi slowly. "It will be too much for you to handle."

"We mustn't be the ones to tell you," Mike added. "Somebody else must explain it to you."

"Does this 'somebody' know my secret too?" They nodded. I gritted my teeth, but said nothing. Jeez, how many freaking people in the planet know more about me than I do?