7 | california never felt like home

❝ She didn't need to be saved

❝ She didn't need to be saved. She needed to be found and appreciated, for exactly who she was. ❞ — J. Iron Word

   It was the end of June when Breeze McBon came to inform me that I was accepted into Hogwarts and only my fifteenth birthday on July 5th made me realize that merely a few weeks had passed

   It was the end of June when Breeze McBon came to inform me that I was accepted into Hogwarts and only my fifteenth birthday on July 5th made me realize that merely a few weeks had passed. Were it not for mom waking me up that morning with a, "Happy birthday, honey," I would have even forgotten my own birth celebration.

   Not that I was one to throw grand parties and invite tons of people or anything of the sort. As if I even had anyone to invite, anyway. A lack of a social life meant years had gone by since I'd last attended another birthday party as well. Each year, mom tried to make up for this rather depressing fact by taking me places-preferably those we hadn't visited before-and while I appreciated the effort every single time, it seemed she cared more about my birthday than I even did.

   This year, we had only planned to drive to San Diego and visit some of mom's friends, maybe even drop by at the beach later in the day. I wasn't looking forward to it, but it beat being stuck home. I hastily threw on a graphic tee and a pair of black leggings and made my way downstairs. From the wide open door of the living room, I caught sight of aunt Camilla and her ugly dog, Puppy. I almost tripped on the last stair-step and fell headfirst to the floor.

   The place was decorated with multicolored balloons, but some of them were already popped, thanks to said dog.

   No, please no . . .

   "Polly, aunt Camilla's coming with us to San Diego," mom explained as I entered the living room.

    Puppy wagged its tail and let out a bark, as though warning me to say anything in protest. I lingered at the door, my eyes apprehensively darting between Puppy and aunt Camilla, whom I forced myself to smile at.

   "Oh," I said simply. "And when are we leaving?"

   "In a couple hours. I thought I'd give you some time to hang out with Rochelle; she said she's dropping by in a bit." As if on cue, the doorbell rang. Mom brightened. "Ah, that must be her."