37 | a memorable christmas

❝ Love lights more fires than hate extinguishes, and men grow better as the world grows old

❝ Love lights more fires than hate extinguishes, and men grow better as the world grows old. ❞ — Ella Wheeler Wilcox

   I stepped inside, my mouth falling open as I took in the sight of the Great Hall

   I stepped inside, my mouth falling open as I took in the sight of the Great Hall. It looked nothing like it always did. Garlands of ivy and mistletoe crossed the starry black ceiling and large sparkling snowflakes were floating in the air high above our heads.

The house tables had vanished and were replaced by numerous round ones, lit by frosted pinecone candles. The tablecloths were white and jars filled with cranberries and loose sprigs of greenery sat in the middle of each table as a centerpiece. Chalky white slipcovers mantled the dining chairs.

Lush garlands lined the large windows and a majestic Christmas tree towered over the top table, where the teachers were sitting. Breeze McBon was sitting on the left of Headmaster Dashawn, wearing dress robes of purple velvet. Her sapphire blue hair with aquamarine highlights was twisted into a flattering side updo and as soon as she met my gaze, she gave me a broad smile. I smiled back at her and walked towards one of the round tables with Sibi and Mike.

The food appeared magically almost as soon as we sat down. All sorts of delicious dishes appeared on the table in front of us. Roasted lamb with butter beans, bacon-wrapped pork loin with cherries, broccoli with toasted garlic and hazelnuts, vanilla sweet potatoes, wood-fired shellfish, crispy roasted spuds and many more.

We indulged in the delicious food, and about forty-five minutes later, the now-empty plates magically disappeared, replaced by new and clean ones. For dessert we had cherry trifle, as well as vanilla ice cream with butterscotch bananas. I didn't eat much since I was already full, but the dessert wasn't any less tasty than the main course.

The house-elves' cooking never failed to impress me, but tonight they had really outdone themselves. I savoured every mouthful and swore to myself I'd go down to the kitchens the next day to personally compliment and thank every single one of them.

Once we were all done eating, Headmaster Dashawn wanted to make an announcement. He stood up from the table and pointed his wand at his neck so that his voice resounded through the entire hall.