14 | flourish and blott's encounters

❝ Understand me, I'm not like an ordinary world

❝ Understand me, I'm not like an ordinary world. I have my madness, I live in another dimension and I do not have time for things that have no soul. ❞ —Charles Bukowski

   I didn't slow my pace until I reached Flourish and Blott's, where I stopped running and bent to rest my hands on my knees and catch my breath, my heart still hammering in my ribcage and Ollivander's words still racing through my brain

   I didn't slow my pace until I reached Flourish and Blott's, where I stopped running and bent to rest my hands on my knees and catch my breath, my heart still hammering in my ribcage and Ollivander's words still racing through my brain. My life was a conflicted contradiction? An outside force was trying to "guide me into a path I wasn't destined for"? What was that even supposed to mean? His words felt more like weird riddles than anything legitimate. Since when did Ollivander gain the abilities to predict the future, anyway?

   Maybe the old man had really lost it. He was just a wandmaker after all, not a Seer. As far as I was concerned, his words could hold no real value whatsoever.

   "Polly, there you are!"

   I turned around to see Sibi, Mike and Oswald June making their way towards me. Sibi was no longer carrying her trunk and the cage that held Tirol, who she must've set free at some point like she said she would.

   "I bought myself a wand," I said, showing them my new purchase and trying to get my mind off Ollivander's words. "Sibi, where's your stuff?"

   "Gringott's lockers," she said. "Let's get inside and buy the school books, shall we?"

   "I'll wait outside," Mr June offered, taking a glimpse inside the small bookstore, which was packed with students.

   We carefully entered the shop, trying not to step on anybody's foot or robes. He made the right choice not to come in-there were way too many people around. Just looking at them made my heart race with anxiety and my palms began to sweat, so I dropped my gaze to my shoes and followed closely behind Sibi and Mike.

   "So, where should we start?" Mike asked.

   "Does any of you have a list? I, uh . . . didn't take mine with me when I left home," I said awkwardly.

   Being the forgetful person that I am, I added mentally. Typical.

   "Wait, I think I have it here," said Sibi. After rummaging in her backpack for a while, she took out a folded piece of parchment paper, unfolded it and read the names of the textbooks out loud.