28 | that time of the month

❝ To be soft is to be powerful

❝ To be soft is to be powerful. ❞ — Rupi Kaur, milk and honey

   Madame Pomfrey allowed me to leave the Hospital Wing the next day at exactly 6 pm, but not before forcing me to drink two glasses of the disgusting juice

Madame Pomfrey allowed me to leave the Hospital Wing the next day at exactly 6 pm, but not before forcing me to drink two glasses of the disgusting juice. I tired to tell her that now I felt perfectly fine and my head wasn't hurting anymore, but she insisted, so after some futile attempts at protesting, I gave in and gulped down two glasses of the goo-like liquid.

I couldn't believe that someone had aggressively smashed a Bludger against my head and cracked my skull, and it was even more unimaginable how all the pain had healed in just three days.

Madame Pomfrey told me to take a shower before leaving and that was exactly what I needed right now. A hot, long shower. The nurse handed me my school robes — all clean and ironed — and when I was finally clean and dressed, I left the infirmary feeling better than ever.

I joined my friends in the Gryffindor table that night for dinner and they were glad to see that I was doing fine, even after what I had just been through. My Quidditch teammates started briskly applauding when I entered the Great Hall, which caused me to blush copiously, but I couldn't hide the triumph I was feeling inside.

I glanced over to the Hufflepuff table. The Beater who had nearly killed me with that goddamn Bludger, a tall and heavily built boy with bushy eyebrows, was sitting at the far end of the table on his own, eating in silence. Exactly what I probably looked like that summer when Mike had offered me to spend the night at his house, and I refused to meet mr. June's eyes as we were all sitting on the table.

"Thanks for saving my life, Polly," Mike said as I sat down next to him, Sibi opposite us, pecking on her food without making a sound.

Suddenly, I realized that she hadn't even turned her head to see me when I entered the hall. This made me wrinkle my brows in confusion but I decided to shrug it off for now.

"No need to thank me at all, Mike," I answered, looking away from Sibi and to my best friend sitting next to me with a grateful expression on his face. "You did the same for me that summer night. I'll never forget that."