10 | shower thoughts

❝ Just because things hadn't gone the way I had planned didn't necessarily mean they had gone wrong

❝ Just because things hadn't gone the way I had planned didn't necessarily mean they had gone wrong. ❞

   Up

Up. I needed to get up. I couldn't lie there a minute longer after what I just heard. I had to think. Clear my head.

Ignoring the pain that shot through my back when I swung my legs over the side of the couch, I stood up. I picked up some clothes and a towel from my suitcase, which Michael had placed somewhere in a cupboard the previous night, and then headed to the bathroom.

Michael's house was small and apart from his and his father's room that both were located upstairs, there was one other room I hadn't been in, so I assumed it had to be the bathroom. I pushed the rusty doorknob and came face to face with a dingy restroom. There was barely any space to move about and the mirror above the sink was cracked and slanted to one side, but none of it mattered. All I needed at that moment was to freshen up.

I stripped off my clothes, swept my hair into a shower cap and stepped into the shower. Bitterly cold water made contact with my skin and I retreated, shivering. I let the current run, tentatively testing it with my fingers every couple of seconds in hopes it would warm up eventually, but it didn't. Letting out a sigh, I decided to suck it up and shower anyway. Judging by the Junes' living situation, the lack of warm running water didn't surprise me, after all.

I wondered how he and his dad had gotten used to it over time. There were many questions I wanted to ask him and Sibi, but first I had to make sense of the chaos that had formed in my head from their conversation I'd eavesdropped on.

Their words started replaying in my mind as if I'd just heard them a few seconds ago.

What are we going to do, Mike? Do you think it's safe to keep someone like her at home? Sibi's anxious voice echoed in my head.

She probably doesn't even know the basic spells, Sibi. What can she do to us?

Michael was right. What could I do to them? What could a girl like me-who didn't even have a wand to start with-possibly do to two wizards who knew way more complicated spells than the few ones I'd read about in the Harry Potter books, two wizards who were about to start their fifth year of schooling? Why would I do anything to them anyway?