47 | goodbye hogwarts

❝ it is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more

❝ it is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more. ❞ —albus dumbledore

   I lost track of how long I stood there, staring at Bernard Dawson and trying hard not to see my father's face

   I lost track of how long I stood there, staring at Bernard Dawson and trying hard not to see my father's face. What pulled me out of my trance was the profound silence that descended over the hall like a blanket when Jeff Willard started speaking.

"Dear young wizards and witches of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry," he began. His voice was adenoidal and there was a smile playing on his paper-thin lips. "As I presume you have all been informed, we are here to conduct an unpleasant but crucial examination. An examination that happens by standard once a century, which is how rarely individuals that threaten the peace and harmony of the wizarding community are born. However, it hasn't been more than thirty years since the time I and my dear colleagues last walked through these walls. We found this strange occurrence to be curious at first, if not concerning, but proceeded with the examinations nonetheless."

Jeff Willard paused and threw an observing look around the Entrance Hall, as though his hawk-like gaze was searching for someone.

"Much to our surprise, but also relief, the International Confederation of Wizards has been able to identify and arrest a number of such individuals at Castelobruxo, Ilvermorny, Durmstrang Institute and Beauxbatons Academy," he continued. "And finally, we, the representatives of the British Ministry of Magic have arrived here, at Hogwarts."

   He took another dramatic pause and scanned the room once more. A shiver coursed its way down my spine as his eyes traveled past me for a second, but he didn't seem to notice or recognize me yet.

   "As you all know, these menacing individuals are more commonly referred to as Dolphinuses. They are capable of nonverbal communication with others of their kind, wandless magic, the Dark Art of Necromancy, and incredibly skilled in Legilimency and Cetustongue—also known as the language of aquatic creatures, particularly dolphins. For years, the dolphin has been considered to be a bad omen, and while folklore isn't a reliable source of information, there is truth in every element of fiction. This superstition hasn't arisen without cause as all the uncommon powers and traits that Dolphinuses possess are considered attributes to Dark Wizards.