19 | a new chapter begins

❝ sanctuary: a word which in here means 'a small, safe place in a troubling world

❝ sanctuary: a word which in here means 'a small, safe place in a troubling world. ❞ — A Series of Unfortunate Events

   The horseless carriages dropped us just at the entrance of the castle, where Filch opened the great oak doors for the students to enter

The horseless carriages dropped us just at the entrance of the castle, where Filch opened the great oak doors for the students to enter. So Filch was still at Hogwarts, and so was Mrs Norris, it seemed. He didn't look much different from the movies though, only a little older due to the passing years.

We finally entered the castle. The Entrance Hall was huge and I couldn't help but gawk at the numerous moving portraits and paintings that hung all over the marble walls. We were led into the Great Hall, and as soon as I stepped in, a waft of warm air enveloped me like a blanket.

The Great Hall was simply entrancing. There were four long tables lined up in the center, each one belonging to one of the four houses with the house flag that hung magically above them. In the very front, horizontally, stood the teachers' table. 

A man with shaggy orange-colored hair and a serious expression dressed in shiny robes was sitting right in the middle of the table. I presumed he was the headmaster. Though the spot next to him was empty. Where was Breeze?

I got the answer very quickly, because a mass of students burst into the hall from a back door, all of them first years, associated by Breeze herself. She led them towards a wooden stool where the Sorting Hat was resting, all worn and shabby looking.

A rush of excitement mixed with tension traveled through my body. Suddenly, I had the familiar feeling I got each time I was nervous, like a thousand tiny butterflies were stirring in my stomach.

Before the Sorting Ceremony began, the headmaster stood up from his table and walked towards the owl-shaped brass podium. Everybody rushed to their seats and I suddenly lost sight of Sibi and Michael.

   A feeling of confusion started building in, soon to be replaced by sheer panic. Where was I supposed to go? What was I supposed to do? Definitely not stand there like an idiot and make myself the center of everybody's attention.

Before I could put much thought into it, the headmaster started speaking and all gazes shifted to him. All of a sudden, I felt a strong hand clutch my left arm. I resisted the urge to gasp in shock as I felt myself being dragged out of the door of the Great Hall by none other than Argus Filch.