𝐬𝐢𝐱

𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐃𝐈𝐄 heard that her sister had been chosen by Percy to go on a quest. The boy got to choose three to join him, out of all of the people selected, he only chose one. Annabeth.

And she knew he would pick Grover.

She thought the third would be Luke. He had stuck with him the entire time, so had she but Luke was definitely stronger, and wouldn't turn around when they had to fight. But, she had heard nothing about the third.

Birdie sat in the grass of the field. For once, and somehow, she was the only one there. She was completely alone. She had gone far enough where she couldn't hear the noises and couldn't see anyone.

She looked up at the sky, all she could think about was her mother. Had she disappointed her? A daughter of literal battle that refused to fight was nothing to be proud of. If she needed help, she would have to search for it somewhere else. Athena would not be the one to save her.

"Hey, weirdo" a voice said. Birdie's head shot down, she didn't want to seem odd even though it was very clear she was. There was no point in trying to hide the obvious. "What do you want, Clarisse?" Birdie asked as the girl kneeled down next to her "I just want to talk, Stork" Clarisse replied with a crude smile "did you really call me 'Stork'?" "it's a type of bird, isn't it?" Birdie rolled her eyes, the nickname was very unnecessary.

Clarisse sunk down next to Birdie, switching to a comfortable position in the grass. She laid down and put an arm around her own torso, as if she was pretending to be hugged. "Come on" she said, hitting Birdie with her other hand. Birdie assumed she meant join her, which was correct. She laid down next to her, resting her hands on her stomach.

Silence floated between them. Both of them wanted the other to start first.

"You'll have a nice trip. Hopefully you don't die" Clarisse said, clearing her throat, finally words were spoken. They weren't very good words but they were words. "What?" Birdie gulped, turning her head. Clarisse didn't bother doing the same. She kept looking at the sky. "Blonde liar chose you" she answered, she finished her sentence with a small sigh. Birdie couldn't tell if she was upset about not being chosen or if it was the fact that Birdie was chosen. "He did?" Birdie asked quietly, why would Percy choose her of all people?

She was one of the only people who could understand Annabeth. And she was one of the only people who was nice to him.

Birdie turned her head back straight, her eyes focused on one cloud. It was moving, along with the others, but it looked different. Clarisse nodded "try to stay alive. Everything will be much more annoying without you here" she said, her voice softening and her tone changing, no longer with the condescending taunt she always used "really?" Birdie smiled to herself, she was happy.

She always thought things were worse with her around. To be told otherwise was better than glory.

"You'll probably be the reason it goes well," Clarisse sighed, finally looking at Birdie "you're pretty great" Birdie looked back at Clarisse.

They looked at each other and the silence returned. It was a good silence this time. The quiet was peaceful and comforting.

Clarisse opened her mouth again, about to talk but loud yell broke the silence.

"𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐃𝐈𝐄!"

Birdie immediately sat up, looking back up the hill and seeing Percy waving her over. Clarisse slowly raised her body, also looking at the boy who just interrupted their time together. She groaned and rolled her eyes.

"Come on. He'll probably just get more annoying if he has to wait" Clarisse grunted, standing up and offering her hand to Birdie. The Chase girl looked up at her and quickly took her hand, accepting the help to stand. Once she was on her feet, Clarisse pulled her hand away and started walking back up the hill, where Birdie swiftly followed.

They reached the top and Clarisse passed Percy, intentionally bumping into him with a sharp glare.

Chiron was also there, he was present to make sure the two confirmed the plan.

"What's her problem?" Percy mumbled as Birdie met him, she didn't answer his question and instead dodged it with another "what did you want?" she asked in a kind way, rather than asking it in a cruel tone, as if he was the last person she wanted to see. He was the last person Clarisse wanted to see but Birdie was different. "You're joining me on the quest" Percy said bluntly, not asking or offering, simply telling, Birdie nodded "I'm coming" she smiled.

"It's decided. Percy Jackson, joined by Grover Underwood, Annabeth Chase, and Birdie-Mae Chase" Chiron said proudly, turning and leaving. Percy looked at Birdie strangely as she began to walk away, going to gather things so they could leave with ease "Birdie-Mae? You're name is Birdie-Mae? I thought it was just Birdie-- there's another name? Bird-- Birdie!" Percy rambled, following after the girl.